John Kenyon 26" Panel saw remade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that the saw is in the owner's hands...

Here's the Kenyon panel saw--26"--as found in the Seaton chest and replicated to the best we could do with the extant photos I have.

26" blade, 7 ppi cross cut. European Beech handle.

This saw, while looking big--and with a .042" saw plate that has been moderately taper ground--is big, it saws wonderful and balances in the hand well. Lightly breasted blade.

Take care, Mike

kenyon_cc_panel_0004.JPG

kenyon_cc_panel_0007.JPG

Another work of art - those handles are stunning - I love the 'indent' where the handle's back meets the main bit, if you know what I mean... Good stuff Mike.

Ah, gosh, thank you all!

These have been both challenging and exciting to make. For me, the break from rectangular is refreshing and the Beech is great to shape.

Take care, and thank you all for the kind words.

Mike

just when you thought you had satisfied the collector in you with your
planes, along comes mike and he makes you want to start a new
place in your workshop for the saw collection.

who'd have thought that such a "mundane" product could be so beautiful
and desirable.

i hope you are actually making money from these mike, we don't
want too many more poor artists.

paul :wink:

mike,i though about your postscript, and i have this kind of thought about
what you told the wife and kids when you decided to change jobs.
i bet that within the conversation there was mention of silly things like
eating, paying rent, you know silly things like that. :lol: :twisted:

so yes i think you should make some money, actually i think that
some of us might actually pay for the photos.

Hi Paul,

Trust me, with mortgages and utilities to pay, steel, wood and brass to purchase, we do need to make the odd bit of money.

No benefactor here. But I wouldn't object if one stood up and hollered "here I am." :lol:

Well, in a sense you get to pay for photos. At least those with subscriptions to certain magazines, or buying them off the shelf. There may be an article being written for a journal about the Kenyon/Seaton saws that I think we'll appear in.

And business, which has been pretty busy, has gotten a bit busier with Chris' two blogs about the Seaton saws.

Our biggest issue is one of space. More space than I currently have is fast becoming a necessity. There was a woodworking school owner from Pennsylania here yesterday. When he walked into our present shop he wondered--aloud--is this all there is? :lol: It is difficult juggling present and future requirements all the while maintaining positive cash flow. But were doing it. Slow and steady is a good course.

Take care, Mike

well mike i don't know, you sure you're murrican :lol: :lol:

like many, i thought your compatriots were all about profit, and
nothing about actually making good things, and then selling them.

now of course i am going to have to learn about cutting
with a western saw again so i can "justify" buying one
of your "houvres".

anyway lets hope it starts doing the right thing

hey mike nice mention in popular woodworking, just got the june issue
here in london today.

think the photo could have been from a better angle though.

Hi Paul--thank you for the kind words.

The mention in PopWood has been good. Probably even better has been Chris' blog entries on the Kenyon saws, though.

The blog has a couple nice photos of the Kenyons and an upcoming lead picture for a Woodworking Magazine article has yet a different saw that is nice--but the subject of the photo is even better. Necessary kit, really. What's that? You wanna know what the article is about? ...

Well, have to run. Got a dozen packages to make up and get out today as well as saws to build.

Take care, Mike

Back