Jet 260 P/T Locking kit manufacture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
WIP report for the Jet 260 planer lock modification kits.

Not strictly woodwork but certainly connected to woodworking.
The whole process is broken down into steps that need little or no machine setting changes. This is the part that takes the time so making things in batches is much quicker – not dissimilar to some woodwork projects.

1st step: Take one 500mm length of 2” x ¾” steel bar and cut into seven pieces. Thanks heavens for the power hacksaw nodding away under the bench as I file off the burrs from the parts.
This picture shows the saw on another un-related task.

Img_0218.jpg

Now to machine the sawn parts to the same length to within 0.1mm.

That’s those all done!

IMG_1113-1.jpg

With all the parts the same size the holes can be roughed out undersize but on the correct centres.

Watch the swarf fly! It was a hot day in the workshop so no shirt on. Steel swarf getting stuck in chest hairs – not funny!!

IMG_1114-1.jpg

The digital readout on the milling machine enables the holes to be accurately located to within 0.01mm repeatedly, whilst the brass tipped steel rod coming in from the left allows each piece to be located in the vice in exactly the same place.

IMG_1115-1.jpg

The batch all ready for the next step – boring the holes to the final diameter.

IMG_1117.jpg

The photo also shows the drilled 6mm hole for the locating pin that fits into the planer

The mill is now fitted with a boring head and single point cutting tool on an adjustable radius to increment the holes to final size.

IMG_1118.jpg

The next step is to machine a shoulder in the bottom right hand corner of the block to locate the hexagonal head of the pinch bolt. I forgot to take a picture of the previous step which was the engraving of a datum line for those planers that have a graduated dial readout. That line can also be seen in the next photo.

IMG_1120.jpg

Also not shown is the drilling of the hole for the pinch bolt. Well, drilling ¼” holes is not that exciting!!

Next job is to cut a 2mm wide slot to allow the pinch bolt to compress the jaws around the planer adjustment shaft.

A slitting saw is fitted to a vertical arbour and the cut advanced very slowly by hand until the slot breaks through into the bore of the hole.

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

The finished lock-block

IMG_1124.jpg

And a group shot with a roll pin fitted into each of the 6mm holes

IMG_1123.jpg

Final assembly shows the pinch bolt fitted and the Bristol lever that is used to apply the lock. Also in the picture is the shaft extension that is required for those models that use a digital readout instead of the graduated dial.

The “artistic” shot of all 7 blocks and 5 extenders needed to meet the orders placed all ready to pack and send off when I get back from holiday.

IMG_1125.jpg

Here is the lock fitted to a graduated dial machine

DSC_0919.jpg

And this is the lock fitted to a digital readout version of the machine.

DSC_0935.jpg

Thanks go to Wizer for taking the last two pictures for me as I don’t own a Jet JTS260 myself.

Thanks for reading and I hope it was of interest.

Bob

Hmmm! Note to self - must try and take better close up pictures - might be an excuse to buy a different camera. Tom's are so much better.

I understand nothing of what I'm looking at, but I'm super impressed nonetheless, looks to be some seriously accurate work you are doing there.

I'm always interested to see metalworking projects. But agree with BB, I'm pretty much lost with the process. I certainly would be if I had to work them.

Bob I don't think you need a better camera (unless you want on ;)). My pics are taken with additional lighting (a torch) and a tripod. Those two things will improve your shots tremendously. Each photo is taken on the timer too, this avoids shake when pressing the button.

Same as the other 2, no idea what I'm looking at ie how that first picture turned into the second?!

Great work thou interesting to see.

ByronBlack":74563zvm said:
I understand nothing of what I'm looking at, but I'm super impressed nonetheless, looks to be some seriously accurate work you are doing there.

Thanks Byron. The device is a lock for the table adjustment on the Jet 260 planers. Some forum members are finding that the table moves during a batch of thicknessing. I have designed the locking mechanism as retrofit kit that people can add to fix the problem.
There have been a couple of threads about the problem and solution on the general forum in recent weeks that might put the project in context.

Bob

Excellent stuff bob those metal bashing machines look impressive. I have a worn part for my tenoner that looks like it would be simple to make for a man of your talents do you think you could give me a price if i get a piccy.

cheers

jon

Chems":16dssb52 said:
Same as the other 2, no idea what I'm looking at ie how that first picture turned into the second?!

Ah! I did say that the first photo was of an unrelated job but just showed my nodding donkey working away under the bench.

If you have ever tried hack sawing through 2" x 3/4" steel you will know the 'arm turning to jelly' effect after a while. 6 such cuts done automatically is a great labour saver - it takes about 5 minutes per cut and never seems to get tired!

Bob

JonnyD":20cqm6jr said:
Excellent stuff bob those metal bashing machines look impressive. I have a worn part for my tenoner that looks like it would be simple to make for a man of your talents do you think you could give me a price if i get a piccy.

cheers

jon

More than happy to take a look Jon. Feel free to email me some details.
[email protected]
I'm on hols at the moment but still in e-contact with the outside world.
I've a few jobs with deadlines when I get back but small things can always be fitted in.

Bob

wizer":1pc2dug9 said:
I'm always interested to see metalworking projects. But agree with BB, I'm pretty much lost with the process. I certainly would be if I had to work them.

Bob I don't think you need a better camera (unless you want on ;)). My pics are taken with additional lighting (a torch) and a tripod. Those two things will improve your shots tremendously. Each photo is taken on the timer too, this avoids shake when pressing the button.

I guess better lighting could help. I'm very tight on space in thee metalworking shop and there is a lot of oil & flying debris plus I will have dirty hands. So I keep the camera in my pocket and just take a quick shot every now and then.
Bob

9fingers":175p6uat said:
Chems":175p6uat said:

Ah! I did say that the first photo was of an unrelated job but just showed my nodding donkey working away under the bench.

I knew I'd seen it before!

9fingers":2opcjaza said:
I'm very tight on space in thee metalworking shop and there is a lot of oil & flying debris plus I will have dirty hands. So I keep the camera in my pocket and just take a quick shot every now and then.
Bob

Having had a guided tour of the m/w and wood 'shop, I can confirm that Bob is indeed a bit pushed for space in the m/w shop.. hope one of those little beauties is for me Bob? (with the digi extender attachment) - Rob

woodbloke":2cp220zb said:
9fingers":2cp220zb said:
I'm very tight on space in thee metalworking shop and there is a lot of oil & flying debris plus I will have dirty hands. So I keep the camera in my pocket and just take a quick shot every now and then.
Bob

Having had a guided tour of the m/w and wood 'shop, I can confirm that Bob is indeed a bit pushed for space in the m/w shop.. hope one of those little beauties is for me Bob? (with the digi extender attachment) - Rob

Yes indeed Rob! Rest assured that one set has your name on it.
I just had time to run the batch before going on holiday as another job got cancelled. However there was not time left to organise payment and delivery.
I will do this as soon as I get back - promise
Bob

Back