Jessum Mortise Mill - Low cost alternative to Festool Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't get the connection
Can somebody educate me what am I missing
As far as i can tell It is no different from using a router only a bit quieter but slower

I think when looking at the jig

its simple - safe - quick - less balancing of the router to do

and becasue you use a drill - no need for a router
as it is a drill bit, you can go much deeper

I like it, as its simple to use, and not much investment is needed, especially if you only make a few loose tennons a year

if you do more than a few, do jigs like this not cause issues with drill bearings? I cant watch the video at work, but i imagine that there is a reasonable side loading on the drill bit?

There would not be much material left in the slot so dont think this would be an issue with drill bearings also the drill bit looks a bit like a milling cutter as far as I can see.

Mcluma":36p294wd said:
I think when looking at the jig

its simple - safe - quick - less balancing of the router to do

and becasue you use a drill - no need for a router
as it is a drill bit, you can go much deeper

I like it, as its simple to use, and not much investment is needed, especially if you only make a few loose tennons a year

In your circumstances I can see why it would appeal

for anything more than that though In my opinion its a complete waste of time
Its Not that fast , I can guarantee the mortice left will be a bit rough and Cordless drills will not stand up to that sort of use for to long as they are not designed for it.

But each to their own
:mrgreen:

Roger

Mcluma":1td6xf94 said:
not much investment is needed, especially if you only make a few loose tennons a year

I wonder - if you only make a few loose tenons a year - how it compares to BeadLock. With BeadLock you need special tenon stock, but the jig itself seems to be cheaper and it uses a drill the 'right' way.

(The tenon stock looks like it should be easily made by router with an appropriate cutter, anyway.)

No skills":192mt2xu said:
Looks like you lever on the drill bit itself rather than push the bit back and forth with the drill, cant see any excess wear issues with that.

Agreed. The bearing at the end of the lever will take the side load, the drill is merely a passenger and provides the rotation. I like it. I think it would have it's place. I won't be buying one, but nicely made and will be of use somewhere.

One other thought, it's obviously demmo'd with a cordless to show how little effort is required. I bet it would be much better with a mains drill.

I think it's a special drill bit too - more of a mill for wood, i.e. intended to cut sideways. Most of the shaft isn't fluted (I think). The lever does indeed provide the sideways force, but it looks to be well engineered so shouldn't develop much play in use. That would be the only downside I can see - might the mech wear out quickly - as heavy use is really the whole point of having one.

If there is a Jessem importer here and the markup isn't too horrible, it would be very tempting. The crucial question is if the mortices as-cut take a standard domino. The effort of repositioning for thickness (two passes) or making your own non-standard size dominoes (OK, but one extra thing to do) would be a downer.

Anyone know if it's obtainable here? I have a small amount of Christmas money left :)

E.

Is is that much better than a dowelling jig ? The drill does not look terribly special to me, in fact it very closely resembles the pilot drill that I have in a set of holesaws.

It looks OK to me. Clearly not competition for a Domino but well designed and made and effective for occasional use. There is no excess load on the drill and I agree a mains drill would be better. Presumably they will sell you the dominos but there again so do Festool.

Hello,
I really like this little jig and for £80.00 it looks like a puka cost effective option to the domino
Going to see if i can get a few imported to the uk if anyone interested

Jessem have an EU company based in Derbyshire.

If you go to their site then you are directed back to the Can/US web site and remain unable to register and buy.

I just sent this message...will show you the reply if I get one.
>>>>>>>>
Hi,

I just followed the links to Jessem EU expecting to be able to make a purchase.

The Jessem EU site simply redirects me to the Jessem Canada/US site which will not accept the UK as a legitimate sales delivery country.

Jessem needs to urgently add other countries to its web site or stay forever unable to accept UK or EU business. Its a very strange way to conduct "modern" business by having a UK based company direct me to a Can/US web site which prevents me buying.

Can we get this sorted quickly as I know I'm not the only interested party.

see jessum-mortise-mill-low-cost-alternative-to-festool-domino-t67966.html

If your rationale is that you only sell to "retail" outlets and not direct to the general public then that rationale is flawed and very much different than your Can/US policy. I would be very irritated by such a policy as it leads to RIP OFF Britain pricing and poor customer relations.

regards
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Al

beech1948":2n5pgkir said:
Jessem have an EU company based in Derbyshire.

If you go to their site then you are directed back to the Can/US web site and remain unable to register and buy.

I just sent this message...will show you the reply if I get one.
>>>>>>>>
Hi,

I just followed the links to Jessem EU expecting to be able to make a purchase.

The Jessem EU site simply redirects me to the Jessem Canada/US site which will not accept the UK as a legitimate sales delivery country.

Jessem needs to urgently add other countries to its web site or stay forever unable to accept UK or EU business. Its a very strange way to conduct "modern" business by having a UK based company direct me to a Can/US web site which prevents me buying.

Can we get this sorted quickly as I know I'm not the only interested party.

see jessum-mortise-mill-low-cost-alternative-to-festool-domino-t67966.html

If your rationale is that you only sell to "retail" outlets and not direct to the general public then that rationale is flawed and very much different than your Can/US policy. I would be very irritated by such a policy as it leads to RIP OFF Britain pricing and poor customer relations.

regards
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Al

I emailed them a question over a month ago enquiring about distribution of the 08200 into European countries.

I did not receive a reply.

:roll:

Back