Festool Domino DF700

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank's again Spectric
That is a very impressive bit of kit, and it would cost £400 to deliver, I am looking at videos on youtube and looking at the Seneca Domiplate and adapter trying to decide, I can get it from Seneca for about £180 including postage, and from a UK supplier for £20 more at least I think they are a UK supplier, the prices are in £ sterling SENECA - festool accessories – Toolovation

I got my adaptor from Toolvation Seneca Cutter Adapter - for Domino XL DF700 – Toolovation and the price has not changed since 2021. They are a UK supplier based near Worcester. Before going down the Domiplate route try handling your 700 upside down and get a feel for operating the switch and pushing, if like me you will find it clumsy as in the normal position it feels more balanced and feels right. This is where the woodpeckers system comes into it's own because you still use the machine the right way up. It is a shame they don't do the woodpeckers kit as a more basic kit with fewer extensions and then you just buy more if and when you need them.

Perhaps try making a diy version of the Domiplate to see how you get on with it before splashing out on the real thing, it looks quite simple?

Thank you all for your help, Doug71 yes that is a good idea, but about half an hour too late, I have ordered the Domiplate and adapter from Toolovation, and I am sure I will make it work somehow

I am now looking for a cutter for the DF700 adapter and some dominos, but I am not sure what size cutter to get, I don't really want to buy all 5 as I will only use 1 or 2, I was thinking maybe get 6 or 8 mm for now as it will be mostly 18mm MDF or 18mm ply I will be using and what size biscuits do I get, are they even called biscuits, I have the full set for the DF700

I have the Festool Dominio DF700 but sometimes need to join 18-20mm wood,
Is there reason why you can't use the standard cutters for the DF700, stock sizes for me are 18mm - 25mm boards and I use either an 8mm or 10mm Domi.

I was thinking maybe get 6 or 8 mm

You can already do 8mm with standard DF700 cutters, for thinner stock then i would I mostly use 5mm's, some times 6mm's and very, very rarely 4mm's with my DF500

When you look at the videos showing the Woodpeckers offset base system they are all working in the horizontal plane, ie into the edge of the wood but what about if you want a corner so one set of holes needs to be done in the vertical ? Maybe @Peter Sefton can shed some thoughts.

Last edited:
there reason why you can't use the standard cutters for the DF700, stock sizes for me are 18mm - 25mm boards and I use either an 8mm or 10mm Domi
I thought the 8mm would be a bit too big for 18mm MDF, based on 1/3 thickness of the MDF so I thought 6mm for that but you are right the 8mm I already have would be fine for 22-24mm, so I think I will just get the 6mm cutter for now and some 6x40 dominos, and Spectric I thought I could split the 6x40 domino at different depths for 18mm work, say 25 horizontal and 15 in the vertical, Maybe @Peter Sefton might comment

Last edited:
The smallest cutter for the 700 is 8mm and for 18mm sheet goods the 5mm cutter is often prefered, hence the adaptor. 3mm may not sound a lot but it is a fair amount of extra material being removed from the panel. Also we don't always get the domino dead central because it does not mater so long as the position is mirrored so now with an 8mm cutter and not centred you could get very close to one edge, the 5mm cutter gives the extra leeway.

I have been looking at the woodpeckers offset base system and although tempted I am not sure about it's usefulness in the vertical especially after reading this

1688894909539.png

I suppose if you held your workpiece in the vertical then it would work but a case of the wobbles springs to mind.

Take a look at the FC tools solution and it is clearly demonstrated in both the face and side of a panel.

I thought the 8mm would be a bit too big for 18mm MDF, based on 1/3 thickness of the MDF
I don't even consider that, its not like a mortice and tenon joint rule based on thirds, I buy bulk bags of domi's so use what I have most of and never had a problem when
making Kitchen units, fitted unit's and anything else I can use the Domi for.

Sorry @Spectric but in my view there is no reason why you cant get the settings right, again I have never had an issue.

I will say, in all the years I have had the 700 and 500 I have had no need or use for any of these gizmos either, they all bring another element of potential error to the party and probably more of a pain messing with the setting up, and then there are the prices! :oops: too much over thinking.

(I bought a Domi plate thing for my 500 from someone on here, years ago, who was making them, never actually found a use for it, seemed like a good idea at the time though...)

I have the Senaca adaptor and during many experiments using it I had no issues apart from alignment which is not down to the adaptor. I have read about the so called gearbox issues and in my opinion this could be caused by not remembering that the 500 only plunges to 28mm and the 700 plunges to 70mm and once you over plunge the smaller cutter the shoulder will make contact with the workpiece.

I totally agree with @Fireburst in that the 700 is a bulky beast that can be a handful, if you want dowels then look at the Jessem doweling jig
👆👆👆 This is exactly the same experience as I have had. Just remember to set the depth stop accordingly, hang on tight and all should be well. It's a bit of a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" but I can't justify 2 dominos, heck, I struggle to justify 1! :D

(I bought a Domi plate thing for my 500 from someone on here, years ago, who was making them, never actually found a use for it, seemed like a good idea at the time though...)
What puts me off these Domi plates is having to use the machine upside down, probably not such an issue with the 500 but with something almost the size of a hedgecutter it becomes more of a handful.

@HOJ if you have the 500 and 700 then you have got everything covered, do you find that you use the 500 more than the 700 if doing sheet goods ?

Thank's Herr Nilsson, the prices seem to be a lot better than Festool, I just had a quick look at a Festool 6mm cutter on Amazon for £36.19, they are about the same price all over by the time you add postage, I get free postage with Prime, your link for the 6mm cutter is £23.45 with free postage

Last edited:
do you find that you use the 500 more than the 700 if doing sheet goods ?
I use the 700 mostly, I picked up the 500 to primarily make draw boxes in 12mm Birch ply, but I have a different method now of doing them so the 500 doesn't see much day light, but I wouldn't be without it.

Back