Festool Domino DF700

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Festool Dominio DF700 but sometimes need to join 18-20mm wood, I wanted to get the Seneca plate and use a smaller cutter, but I am not sure if it would be best for me to get a biscuit jointer instead maybe Makita or DeWalt, as the Seneca plate is quite expensive I have found this thread WARNING ABOUT USING SENECA ADAPTER WITH XL700 DOMINO, but it is 5-6 years old and was wondering if things have changed regarding the Festool warranty and gearbox problems, has anyone on here used the Seneca plate and small cutter with the Festool DF700

The bigger problem with the 700 is it’s size. It’s a little unwieldy for those smaller jobs. Regarding using biscuits instead I suppose that would depend on the context of the job itself. Is you just need help with alignment then biscuits will be fine but if you are looking for a strong joint then avoid biscuits.

I have no experience with Seneca plates… sorry. I ended up getting both the 500 and the 700 but I can justify as they both get lots of work.

Thank's Andy
I don't really use mine very much, actually very little, and I can't justify buying the 500 as well, I know that biscuits are mostly for alignment and not for strong joints, but would do for what I need so I think I will look at biscuit jointers, decent ones

I’d recommend the Mafell biscuit jointer. It’s an excellent machine. Worth looking out for a used one. There are also a few other brands using the Mafell mechanism, with their own motor, such as Wurth.

when biscuit joiners first came they were mad money.....
so as a trial I bought Screwfixes own......said on the plate made in Holland......

what a cracking machine.....still works well, no probs with accuracy.....
still in use.....

Or Lamello, they were always the top bit of kit for high end shopfitting and the like.

And if I recall, some of theirs have a few unique features/capabilities, though I can’t remember what they are!

Freud is a pretty unloved brand, on the used market; their routers go for very little, likewise their biscuit jointers, though they’re simple, solid, reliable machines.

Thank you all for the replies, I am looking at the moment for second hand it won't be used a lot, I would like a Mafell, but the are pricey and hard to find second hand, there's a Freud on ebay that I am watching

I have the Senaca adaptor and during many experiments using it I had no issues apart from alignment which is not down to the adaptor. I have read about the so called gearbox issues and in my opinion this could be caused by not remembering that the 500 only plunges to 28mm and the 700 plunges to 70mm and once you over plunge the smaller cutter the shoulder will make contact with the workpiece.

I totally agree with @Fireburst in that the 700 is a bulky beast that can be a handful, if you want dowels then look at the Jessem doweling jig

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/jessem-dowelling-jig-with-6-8-10-and-12mm-heads-package/

I would suggest the dowelmax but they no longer have any UK distributors.

Thank you all for the replies, I am looking at the moment for second hand it won't be used a lot, I would like a Mafell, but the are pricey and hard to find second hand, there's a Freud on ebay that I am watching
My first jointer was the Freud. It's cheap and cheerful but a bit crude. When joining boards you need as much precision as possible so I plumped for a Lamello top 10 after that. It has an adjustable blade mechanism which is simply brilliant and so useful. I see it has tripled in price since I bought it so now it's only for a lifetime's investment.
The more refined the machine the easier it will be in use and I would also recommend dust extraction. If you can afford a mid range machine like the Mafell you will not regret it.

Okay recipio, I will rule out the Freud, thanks for the tip, but they do make good saw blades, and spectric that Jessem Dowell jig looks impressive, I already have a Jessem router lift and it is top of the range, I believe that Jessem make the router lift for Incra as well

The Jessem is a well engineered bit of kit, for dowels precision is key to geting a joint to close and with the range of dowels 6, 8, 10 and 12 you can joint most things. Also with dowel rod you can use dowels any length you fancy only restricted by drill length. The other use I have found is drilling a 6mm pilot hole, if you want a hole through a piece of wood that is dead square to the wood then it is handy and once you have the pilot hole you can open up to the size you want.

Thank's recipo, it is no good without a height adjuster
what about this one Lamello Classic - EW 6114 SL | eBay
Just to be clear , only the Lamello Top series has the dial height adjuster and you will pay big money for that. The Lamello 10 has been replaced by the 21 and that's about 1K to buy. The classic a good machine and at least will be accurate in use. I see it has a dust port for extraction. I'm only advising against budget machines as they tend to have sloppy fittings which are hard to set up accurately. I'd imagine the mid range machines from Makita, DeWalt and Mafell are worth a look as well.

The problem with decent tools in good condition is people don't often sell them, if they are selling there is all to often a good reason.

If you have the expensive component, ie the XL700 then why not just buy the Senaca adaptor and a Festool 5mm cutter. The centre is 10mm from the fence and 15mm from the base plate.

Spectric , that was as I mentioned in my op my intention until I read that there were problems using the Seneca plate with the XL700, but the post was 5-6 years old, there is a link to it in my first post, and I asked if that problem had been sorted and if anyone is using that setup today without problems, if it is safe then that is what I will do, and I have checked with WWW and the Woodpeckers Offset Base System will be back in stock mid to late August, I intend to get that

I have the Senaca adaptor and during many experiments using it I had no issues apart from alignment which is not down to the adaptor. I have read about the so called gearbox issues and in my opinion this could be caused by not remembering that the 500 only plunges to 28mm and the 700 plunges to 70mm and once you over plunge the smaller cutter the shoulder will make contact with the workpiece.
I don't use the domi plate but do have this one from FC tools DCS 700XL DOMINO PLATE .( COMPATIBLE WITH DAJ PLATE. ) - FC Tools and it works well with the DAJ.

I personally don't like the 700 upside down, for me it feels wrong and why the woodpeckers system is more appealing and I am very tempted if for no other reason than to see if I can resolve my alignment issues without resorting to a sloppy hole.

If you go for the adaptor just be aware of the depth setting, don't exceed the length of the cutting edge and bring the shoulder into contact with the workpiece and there is no reason for any problems.

Back