jcb router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustjon

Established Member
Reaction score
Does any-one have any experience or feedback on the JCB router. I know the saying, buy cheep buy twice, but it appears to me, with my limited knowledge, and funds, to be reasonable. Plus it has a guarentee.
I am a hobby woodworker that uses ash, elm and oak. I am also new to routing so I wouldn't know a good buy even if tripped over one.
I would appriciate any help or advice.
John

I work wood professionally, and have some quite expensive tools. I run several routers so that I don't need to change them from one function to another. I recently bought the JCB router to do one specific, simple job, and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised with it. If you fancy it, I suggest you go ahead and get it.

Thanks for the input, looking at the machine it looks quite well built, especially for the type of work I intend to use it for. I will pop down to B&Q tomorrow. Just out of interest I shall report my findings over the next couple of months.
John.

Hello...I don't use a router often enough to justify a big brand machine, so I've used several budget brands. First, a 1/4" Argos/Challenge router, still going strong after several years, much loved for its lockable on/off switch. Several B&Q own brand routers, all consigned to the scrap heap with various faults ie on/off switch failing or carbon brush holders falling apart. I currently have an Erbauer 1/2" monster, very heavy but works well, and a blue Bosch 1/4" router/trimmer, a present from the kids for my 50th, not had time enough for a decent play. I did once buy a JCB from the local cash & carry. Took it straight back as there was so much play on the spindle, an 18mm bit was cutting almost 20mm wide. Maybe I just got a rubbish one. Hope your purchase works out okay. Rick.

Thanks for the input Mick, sounds a bit scarey with the JCB router, I've just bought one.
After getting it home I gave a good coat of looking at, twiddled with it and poked it about.
The machine looks to be fairly well constructed, it comes with a guide bush, a dust extraction tube, roller guide, centre pin, two collets and 6 run of the mill cutters.
I had a little play with it on soft wood and hardwood, the variable speed works a treat.
I made a set of steps for a bunk bed and the router didn't seam to have any drawbacks (remember this is an amateur woodworker talking), at the moment it appears to function OK.
Just for the hell of it (and I like the sound of my own voice) I shall post a review as I use it.
I hope this will be of use to some other newbie woodworker.
John

Hi - found this post via google, and was wondering if you ever did that review. I've just bought one as my first router and would be interested in any tips!

Hi Pete, I'm just across the water from you (Maddiston, Falkirk)....I'm a real newly to routing but want to give it try......how did you get on with your JCB - I notice the other guy didn't come back ????? Bill

Hi,

It works fine. I ended up making a shim to go under the rotating depth stop tower, to stop it wobbling, and seems to work well. Have used it a bit, but not extensively. Not bad as a first router I think.

The main problem with a tour would be play in the spindle bearings.

Find a piece of reasonably hard wood.
Use a cutter that you have measured accurately, and drill down into the wood. Is the hole diameter the same as the cutter? If its a half mm or more bigger then theres play in the bearing.
Same thing with a a groove across the piece, is the depth the same all the way across? If not, theres play in the bearings.

Not the end of the world for a home diy'er, but not good if youre trying to make accurate designs.

Back