January Competition Bowl - critique and comments welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, following on from a great opening to the challenges, wondered if any one would like to comment on my bowl, as judging is over and c&c is now allowed
it is 225mm x 45mm (9" x 1.75"), Ash and finished with ss buffed on the wheel, carnauba and a smear of M/c,
regards Chris

Attachments

• 2011_0123jancompbowl0003.JPG
    2011_0123jancompbowl0003.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 665
  • 2011_0123jancompbowl0005.JPG
    2011_0123jancompbowl0005.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 665
  • 2011_0123jancompbowl0007.JPG
    2011_0123jancompbowl0007.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 665
Hi,

Doesn't quite work for me. Its well made but I think that it is because its split in half heightwise. For me, it would have looked better if the top slope had been shallower so it got nearer the one third / two thirds balance.

Not sure I dare put mine up for general critique - I probably won't like the answers!!

Chris

Your bowl looks to be well turned and finished

Your design has worked well and looks to me to be more artistic / ornamental than functional

Would look good on a sideboard or table as a center

Allen

Chris for me this bowl would have been up at the topof the judges decision if you had just kept the bottom half shape of the bowl with a nice even wall thickness whether it was thin or chunkier :D
The wood has got some very nice coloured figure/grain in it and looks to be very well finished.
Just my thoughts :D

Blister":1ly4ec3c said:
Chris

Your bowl looks to be well turned and finished

Your design has worked well and looks to me to be more artistic / ornamental than functional

Would look good on a sideboard or table as a center

Allen

This was my first thoughts, would look great as a centre piece on a coffee or dinning table. If coffee table it would look great as a tea light i think.

Sorry no critique :)

Hi, thanks for the replies.
thanks Gordon, it is 15mm 30mm split,and the bowl is also a third, perhaps I need to try to show this better in my photos
Blister,HC, exactly what I was aiming for thanks for your comments :)
Paul, thanks for the comments, I Know what you mean about having a flat top and even wall thickness, but I was experimenting with curved tops to add a different perspective
Kind regards Chris

Hi Chill,

In time you will get more confident with taking photos and this will help to display your work properly.

Even as it stands, the piece is well balanced and finished off nicely.

I find the side view very pleasing as the bowl almost looks like a hollow form in this view.

What are your own thoughts on the piece?

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee,
thanks for the kind comments, I`m trying to learn how to use my camera to best effect, need to fiddle with settings, lighting etc, :roll: , as for the bowl I am very happy with how it evolved. From the side I think the 1/3 - 2/3 split gives it a feeling of floating/lifting, also I am pleased with the grain pattern and orientation,
Best wishes Chris

Regarding the camera if its a point and shoot and your about a foot or two away from the piece try using the macro feature. Normally the button or menu icon that looks like a flower. This will help the camera focus while very close to the object, even if your just cm away.

Hi Chris,

I like your interpretation of your own piece.

This is a vital part of any critique, and often forms the sole basis as to why others ask for critique.

You will find on the forums history of posts, and no doubt at somepoint in the future again, debates regarding the critique 'option'. I believe it is fundamental that when posting an item for crituque that the person also needs to state their own critique of the piece. If anything, this encourages what should be a fair and just debate. However, this is not always the case. Their have been prominant members who posted regularly, but due to innept critiques of their work have chosen to reduce their posting limits to almost nothing.

This is in fact a great loss to our community, some of these individuals are not only great turners but a small few I belive are at least the greatest turners in the UK today. We now no longer have a valuable input from this group which is sadly missed.

The point I'm making is that you should pay particular attention to the comments that people make about your work. It is your choice to sift the 'critique' for the comments, suggestions or improvements that will best help you to advance your skills. This is of course the more positive and well intentioned 'critique'.

I hope you have find this 'critique' helpful.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee, thanks again for your comments they are very helpful, I agree with you that some great turners are sadly missed, perhaps if the inept critique posters paused for thought, looked at the item and considered what was trying to be achieved, and stayed away from subjective remarks that can`t be substantiated we wouldn`t have lost these valuable members, just my opinion
Best wishes Chris

Latest posts

Back