Proposed 2014 Woodturning Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
henton49er":3vcjv99r said:
Plaques:-

2014 Marking regime:-

The monthly Judge will provide a list of their top 5 entries with comments (as in previous years). This year the top five will be awarded 10 points for first place, 8 for second place, 6 for third place, 4 for fourth place and 2 for fifth place (a total of 30 points). All other entrants get one point each.

Entrants will be asked to nominate their top three by sending me a PM within 48 hours of the close of the entry posting period. I will take the entrants’ nominations and award a temporary score of 3 for a first place, 2 for a second place and 1 for a third place. These will be totalled and a ranking will then be produced. The highest ranked entry will be awarded 5 points, the second ranked 4 points and so on down to 1 point for the fifth ranked (a total of 15 points).
Judges and entrants points will be added together for an overall score. The highest overall score will be the month’s winner. In the event of a tie for first place, the entrant with the higher or highest Judge’s score will prevail (as there will only be one medal or plaque).

With a more complicated scoring system, the results may take an extra day or two to come out (depending upon how many entrants there are and how busy or hungover :oops: I might be!!).

At the end of the year, the entrant with the highest number of points (Judges and Entrants combined) will be nominated the “Overall Challenge Winner for 2014”. In the event of a tie, the entrant with the most first places will be declared the winner. If it is still a tie, the entrant with the most judges points will prevail. If it is still a tie ……. :roll: I give up!!

Project List as published in this thread in my post of Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 pm (the first post).

Any final questions or comments - if not we are good to go from the start of next month.

Just for clarification, will entrants be allowed to vote for their own project?

Hi Mike,

I just sent my donation, I hope I'm not too late? I only joined the forum yesterday with a question about sharpening a scraper and the advice I got was easily worth a fiver donation! (even if I wasn't going to submit a project). But unfortunately I might just have to give it a go!

Tony

Donations now up to £64.01. At this rate we will have to start gold-plating the plaques!! :shock: :shock:

Daven and I are in discussion (well, PM exchange actually) to see if we can get some stands for the plaques included (so you don't have to nail 'em to your workshop wall :roll: :roll: )

henton49er":20mr57n0 said:
Daven and I are in discussion (well, PM exchange actually) to see if we can get some stands for the plaques included (so you don't have to nail 'em to your workshop wall :roll: :roll: )

Hope to cut a test one tomorrow ;)

Cheers

Dave

Well, here it is .... the final run for the monthly plaque plus stand, designed and made by forum member Daven ( =D> =D> =D> ) with some vague input from me. We are still in discussion re the overall winner's plaque (probably similar but larger), but the image below is the prize for the highest overall score (judges plus entrants scores) for this month's Challenge

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 495
Just so everyone knows:-

Out of the total of £64.51 received in donations I have sent Daven £45 for the plaques for the 12 monthly winners and the overall winner. The balance of £19.51 I have retained for postage and packing. Any surplus I will add to the funds for next year's Challenge (assuming that we continue!).

Many thanks, hope you like the plaques and good luck to all that enter. Hopefully I may be able to join in next year :)

Best

Dave

That all sounds good. looking forward to using the competition to practice and learn though I certainly won't be in the first round :)

Latest posts

Back