Ive solved the Wellington Boots and Sock problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Whenever I wear wellies I find that after a short while my socks slide relentlessly downwards and if left alone will gradually sort of slide off my foot into the end of the boot - not good!
I accidentally found the solution while cutting bushes and repairing fences this morning, I started work wearing shoes but with my trouser legs tucked into my socks (as used to for cycling without cycle clips wow that ages me) so that the bottom of my trousers didn't get soaked in the boggy ground.
Switched to wearing wellies but left the trouser tucked in.
Many hours later I noticed my socks hadn't slipped off and all was well, let me know if it work for you as well - or is there another solution I have missed?

ThoroughGrip Garterettes according to Monty Python.
If you use heavy outer socks or Hob socks as they are sometimes called you can turn the tops over the top of your wellies navy style.

My wife bought me slippers at christmas that eat my socks so i will try your solution though i might look a bit odd with my trousers tucked in my socks whilst watching tv

Long boot socks and garters. Works a treat. I do a lot of beating on pheasant shoots which entails walking over rough terrain for about 5 -7 miles a day in wellies and this solution works perfectly. Make sure your wellies are a good fit as well. Too loose and the constant rubbing between boot and sock will pull your socks down

Always tuck my trousers in. I also wear a pair of Bama Sokkets, they make the wellies more comfortable, keep my feet warm and stop the condensation issue as well.

My wife bought me slippers at christmas that eat my socks so i will try your solution though i might look a bit odd with my trousers tucked in my socks whilst watching tv

My wife bought me slippers with laces on the front, which constantly came undone and tripped me. I finally stopped their constant assassination attempts with a hot glue gun!

Bailing twine , works for my pants so socks should be good too :LOL:
Where do you even get baler twine these days? All my neighbours use round balers with plastic net wrap. My supply of Red Star BINDER twine (who else remembers that?) is rapidly dwindling! Dunno what the big Hesston square balers use, but it must be strong.

Aquired two big rolls of the stuff many years ago and squirilled them away for a rainy day ;) i still have nearly a full one left (y) so that should be enough to keep my pants up till i pop my clogs :eek:

Where do you even get baler twine these days? All my neighbours use round balers with plastic net wrap. My supply of Red Star BINDER twine (who else remembers that?) is rapidly dwindling! Dunno what the big Hesston square balers use, but it must be strong.
They still use proper sized bales around me, but for some unfathomable reason they often use wire instead of string. Weird, and always reminds me of the Wright brothers. It also rusts and disintegrates over a year, so not entirely useful.

My supply of Red Star BINDER twine (who else remembers that?)
That brings back memories!! It has a lovely smell and feel. I used to get blisters along the joints of my fingers when working with bales. The first day working, I would use the row of joints near the end of my fingers, then the next day I would use the next joints towards my hands, By the 4th day, I would be back to the first joints and the pain was bearable, blisters had healed enough use. If a blister burst. it was crazy painful because of whatever they put on the twine to preserve it. It was much kinder to the hands than plastic stuff, It didn't slip through your hands.

Had forgotten the smell - yes, it was lovely. The other smell from my youth was sugarbeet pulp in hessian sacks. Could spend ages just sniffing them!
Interesting the comment about using baling wire for small bales in Greece. The old stationary baler the thresher man brought round to do the corn ricks used wire, but that was back in the 1940s. It was still occasionally used into the mid 50s, but the danger to livestock of ingesting detached bits of wire was a real problem.

Back