It's Sunday Afternoon, OMG it's Name that Machine (again...)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so another boring Sunday afternoon has come round, so now it's time to pit your wits and name that machine. This week there are three machines:

Number One

GB2.jpg

Number Two

PPS.jpg

Number Three

MA.jpg

There a few clues here. The first item was actually quite common until the late 1970s I'd say. The second item is particular to a specific part of the woodworking trades, but there really isn't a modern equivalent, whilst the third was frequently used in peripheral trades to woodworking as well as woodworking. I've actually owned a similar machine to #3 but from a different manufacturer - although I doubt that will help you figure it out. Happy guessing!

Scrit

I think No. 3 looks like Mrs Tweedy's pie machine. :D

The first looks like some sort of jointer but I can't imagine how the spring like things work.

Number 1 looks like a table top thicknesser with hold downs.

Number 2 couldn't be an early machine for replecating profiles with the bottom arm following the profile and the top doing the marking/cutting etc.

We're sort of going in the right general directions, except for Mrs. Tweedy's Pie Machine (although I do like that one, Dave :lol: \:D/ ). But I'm going to ask people to be specific as all three machines have specific uses and methods of work. Anyone like to try and date the second one? That might help tell you what it actually does

Scrit

Maybe a clue about scale. Machine number two is about 10 feet long. So ruddy big rifles! :shock:

Scrit

No1 for planing rebated timber
No2 profile copying
No3 a clock face making thingy
:-k

JFC

No,
Yes, but what I'm after is the exact purpose of the machine
No, but nice try!

Scrit

I think the 2nd one is for copy turning columns

Third one could be for clamping moulding circular frames

Jason

Ok I will have a guess
No 1 I would say is a jointer of some sort.
No 2 is a veneer cutting machine,
No 3 is for making turned posts.
All guesses but that's what it's all about isn't it. :?

No. 1 is definitely involved in the dimensioning of timber. But what is it called? Get that and that's the use. I believe that someone on the forum actually purchased an old one earlier this year

No. 2 is indeed a copier - but at ten feet long, for what? It was designed and built by a company which at the time was famous for it's patent pattern miller.

No. 3 is not necessarily for circular work at all, it doesn't make pies nor does it milk cows. Round here I have seen them used in shoe factories - but for what? They weigh a tonne or more and have died out as a piece of machinery. The biggest could weigh in at over 4 tonnes and be 9 to 10 ft across with a 90in diameter bed

Scrit

no 1 still working on . trade specific surface planer :-k
no 2 wtill working on . possibly used by a shipwright for keils
no 3 is a "last" making machine , used for forming the shape of the shoe

No1 a thicknesser, but I don't know what the springs are for?
No2 guess, could this be for making oars, at 10' they are big oars but not monster ones.
No3 don't have a clue.

Machine 1
Looks like the pressure clamps are making the infeed table the same height as the outfield table :-k

DaveL":1t34h7uk said:
No1 a thicknesser, but I don't know what the springs are for?
OK, Dave's pretty close and Jason's also going the right way so I'll concede that no. 1 is a Gabro thicknesser attachment to convert an overhand planer into a thicknesser. The infeed table is dropped fully and the big plate is adjusted so that it is the appropriate height above the cutterblock. The springs are used force the work up against the top plate, which is ni effect the bed of the thicknesser. Personally I used to regard these things as bl**dy frightenin as you could see a large amount of spinning cutterblock/blade, so I'm glad they've disappeared.

Additional clue for the second one - these machines were specific to a period of time, between about 1915 and about 1950. They probably haven't been any made since then. And nobody's got no. 3 yet, either.

Scrit

no 1 is it used by a "cooper " to square up the edge of the oak to form a water tight seal .which is used to make barrels ???????????

No 2 a wing maker of some sort , maybe light aircraft / gliders or bombs :-k

Back