It's Sunday Afternoon, OMG it's Name that Machine (again...)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is number 3 a drilling station to drill lotsa holes fastly and acurately at a variety of depths/diameters/angles??
Initially I thought it was an automated wooden wheel morticer!! possibly could be used to automate drilling chair seats eg ercol? Or fitted with automatic nailers/staplers/screwdrivers??
It looks like various tools can be attached to the t slot key ways, does the circular part rotate then lock at a set point ?
Cheers Mr S :D

Is it an early mechanical robot?

nickson71":311laokb said:
No 3 ........... is it a machine for bending wood to make the soles of clogs?
Bar crarky your from the north west and you think clog soles are made from bent wood not solid! :shock: :lol: :lol:

No 1
is very similar to the thicknessing attachment which came with the Multico 9inch planer which I bought in approx 1972 and used for at least 15 years.

The same machine with which the man who trained me, had dislocated all the bones in his hand.

He had done a huge amount of work with it, including pews for churches.

It was indeed extremely dangerous especially for heavy long timbers.

The Multico 9 inch palner was rather good especially if you knew the double bevel sharpening trick for improved finish on horrible cranky wood.

David C

sawdusts got number 2, produced from 1915 to 1950, the era of propeller aircraft

nickson71":2fxhlr8u said:

There is no bent wood in my clogs thank you very much. :roll:
The woods are carved from solid sections of wood. A log is split into two just like for turning, each half should contain a wood. Take a look hereto see the chap who makes my clogs.

DaveL":2rfs5w9m said:
There is no bent wood in my clogs thank you very much. :roll:

Mine neither Dave!! You must be well heeled :shock: I cant afford a pair of Mr Atkinsons exellent as they are. I have a pair of walkley steelies which are exellent for any work, much comfortabler than the bog standard fairy slipper factory boots you get nowadays. Hard durable and very comfortable. I maintain them myself with recycled conveyor belting. I first started wearing clogs when i worked as a pallet fixer and got entirely fed up of getting nails through my boots :roll: #-o
cheers Jonathan :D

My, you have been busy sinec I last logged on!

No. 2:

JFC":ilvnafsw said:
No 2 a wing maker of some sort , maybe light aircraft / gliders or bombs :-k
You're definitely warm with that one, JFC

Sawdust Producer":ilvnafsw said:
Number two a copy lathe for wooden propellers / airscrews?
SPOT ON!!! It was a Wadkin Automatic Propellor Shaper which was manufactured from about 1915 or so until the 1940s. It was capable of copy machining a 2-blade propellor in a single piece and was supposedly last offered in the late 1940s. 3-blade propellors came in just before WWII making machines such as this all but obsolete as the propellors were much smaller and mounted onto a 3-spoke variable pitch hub, so were shorter. The development of metal and composite propellors during WWII saw the end of this particular type of machine.

Congratulations Sawdust Producer

No. 3:

nickson71":ilvnafsw said:
Having seen Maude's soles being made I can assure you that they are definitely not bent. Most of the working is done on a special type of automatic copy lathe - Maude's (later called Walkeley's) were designed by Robinson's of Rochdale specifically for the task.

Fecn":ilvnafsw said:
no.3 - Radial Arm spindle moulder
Wow! Another near miss

I think I had better give you this as Fecn almost has it. It is actually an automatic shaper/moulder, type MA, manufactured by Thomas White & Sons of Paisley in Scotland. Probably the best known machine of this type today is the range of shapers manufactured by Rye of High Wycombe from the late 1940s to the mid-1990s, the biggest of which had a 90 in diameter bed, up to 4 high-speed spindle heads and which could accommodate additional sanding and drilling stations. So it was possible to put a lump of bandsaw roughed timber onto the machine at one end and take off a completed component, drilled and even finish sanded at the other. These machines worked on a merry-go-round principle - the workpiece was clamped onto the table using pneumatic clamps and the heads, on articulating arms would have follow bearings to template shape up to 3 sides of a piece as it went past. The pattern guide could be built to accommodate up to 4 layers as well. If you needed to machine all four sides it was simply a case of unloading a component after so many machining operations then reloading it at another station where the workpiece was held reversed. They were effectively a bit like a router and template, but the heads normally run at 7,000 to 10,000 rpm amd can accommodate cutterblocks up to 100mm deep. In fact before the advent of the CNC router this class of machinery was the workhorse of the industry in the UK and in many other parts of the world. I have even seen this type of machine used to trim shoe sole blanks and shoe heel inners locally, so they had many uses outside of the furniture making trades.

Here is a photo of the big Rye shaper (an R90E 2C 2-hread unit). To get some idea of scale, this machine is about 8ft tall:

Rye_90E_2c.jpg

You know it's getting difficult for me to find things that defeat you guys.....

Scrit

mr spanton":t060o2hl said:
I have a pair of Walkley steelies which are exellent for any work, much comfortabler than the bog standard fairy slipper factory boots you get nowadays.
Both my pairs were made by Rick Rybicki when he was still making clogs - a pair of lace-up steeleys and a pair of clasp front Lancashire pattern (i.e. duck toed) "Sunday bests". Best things about them are that the cold from concrete floors doesn't come through your soles (i.e. they're warm to wear even on the coldest day) - and there's nowt better for working up a ladder as they support your feet properly. I've never tried dancing in the like this bunch, though:

f6299874.jpg

The Britannia Coconutters from Bacup in Lancashire

Scrit

Scrit":23lktnj2 said:
Both my pairs were made by Rick Rybicki when he was still making clogs -

Rick made very nice clogs, I was sad when he stoped. I still have a pair made by him but I had them re-wooded by Jeremy, still my for best clogs. I have to confess to having 5 pairs from Jeremy, I had him customise the design for me. They are the best for ladder work as Scrit says and are very good when the need to dig presents itself.

I don't clog dance but have been known to dance in clogs.
I mix for Lyckerty Splyt we played a ceilidh for Chelmsford Morris a little while ago and the Ladies side dances in clogs.

I cant wait till next Sunday , i like this game (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :tool:

One for David C. Here's the Multico overhand planer complete with the tenoning attachment and the thicknessing attachment. The inset shows the gap beneath the timber to accommodate the springs:

MulticoBandL.jpg

Scrit

Thanks Scrit,

Happy days, I bought a new one when setting up first draughty Lake district workshop. Dry stone walls, the wind blew straight through.

Note the shaving chute at near end. When I started dust extraction was not much evident in small workshops.

It was fun constructing a hood to attach to the chute, better than nothing but not much use when thicknessing dusty African woods.

The springs were the only thing that held the wood against the thicknessing table, i.e. up.

David C

I have fond memories of those Multicos as well, as my dad had one (complete with very rarely used thicknessing table) throughout my childhood.

Jake":1f3rd8mi said:
I have fond memories of those Multicos as well, as my dad had one (complete with very rarely used thicknessing table) throughout my childhood.

I have one still in use almost daily. No attachments. Just the basic planer. But very accurate. Far more accurate and robust than anything I could afford to buy new.

Brad

Jake":241tabri said:
Different scale and class of machine, but my old Coronet Consort planer had the same sort of thicknessing attachment. Only 4.5 inch capacity and pretty safe, but an absolute pig to use because of the friction against the top plate, unless you remembered to wax the plate after every 6 feet of timber put through.
Ah, happy days!

Back