It's so cold that...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Nipped out into the garage yesterday evening to dimension and then cut some elm to make into a late planned xmas present. Was particularly cold so didn't want to hang about, set up the P/T for thicknessing, fired up the extractor then started up the P/T which thought about it and then died.

Did the blokey thing of turning things off and on a few times and swearing. That didn't work so played around with the safety switches I could see, they were okay. Took the covers off to have a further fiddle and check the last safety, still nothing. Looked at the fuse in the plug, seemed okay, used other plugs, nothing. Pulled the control box apart, don't know why as I wouldn't have known what to look for, that seemed okay too.

Switched it to planing mode, nope, nothing. Was just about to get out the hand plane and dig out my guarantee when I had a ponder about the fuse again. Checked my toolbox supply of fuses, no 13 amps, wondered which power tool I could cannibalise for a fuse but decided to check my kitchen stash. Found a fuse. Fitted the fuse. Expected nothing. P/T fired up. Man in his late thirties kisses power tool.

Can only assume that the extreme cold had stiffened/thickened things up a little and the motor had to draw even more current than usual (it makes the lights dip on start up) that it blew a fuse.

Still, 30 minutes well spent... :roll:

That's a beggar - glad you fixed it.

I'm not quite sure what gets them. I think sometimes it might be the belts getting stiffer. I had a fright the other year as my pillar drill was locked up. I slackened the belt off a bit and it went.

I used it the other day and it was a bit sluggish until it got going. The bandsaw wouldn't start. I knocked the power off and turned it round a bit by hand and it was sorted. Single phase induction motors have quite a low starting torque compared to three phase (or series type universal motors) so I guess it doesn't take too much to tip the balance.

David

9fingers":1rw1bw1q said:
Ironballs":1rw1bw1q said:
Can only assume that the extreme cold had stiffened/thickened things up a little

Not an effect I have noticed in cold weather :shock:

Bob

Hmm yes I thought it was odd the first time it happened to me... I guess it depends what temperature it gets down too. At the weekend it was probably somewhere between 0-3°C in that building (it is colder than the one with temperature indicator in which was reading 2.8°C! :( )

David

Bizarrely this was one of the few times where I didn't rage against the machine, didn't even think about kicking it which was most unlike me

PS - did get the Rage download (even though I have the album already). Up yours Cowell :D

That is so strange!

It was 32 degrees in old money (freezing) in the shop yesterday and I was only going to cut one piece of pine so I didn't bother to heat the shop first.

When I turned on the table saw it went....grrrrrrrr....doop....grrrrrr....sssszzz WHIZ and the induction motor then ran up to speed....

Never did this before! I heated the shop up to 48 degrees an hour later and tried the saw then and it was fine...WHIZ right off the blocks...

STRANGE!

Jim

woodbloke":cy476lgu said:
9fingers":cy476lgu said:
Ironballs":cy476lgu said:
Can only assume that the extreme cold had stiffened/thickened things up a little
Bob
:wink: :lol: :lol: - Rob

Not an effect I suffer from in the cold. Quite the reverse in fact!

:wink:

If lubricants are thickening, then it shows what a seriously cold spell we are having and maybe some Arctic grade oil/grease might solve the problem.

Maybe some of those windmills will seize up?

:shock:

John

Its so cold that........

.........my workshop door padlock froze shut. Ten minutes to get into the shed just to find a screwdriver.

........my dog was able to chase ducks around on the ice on the local lake

........my heating has been on 3 times in a week!

Mike

Mike Garnham":2yas2eng said:
Its so cold that........

.........my workshop door padlock froze shut. Ten minutes to get into the shed just to find a screwdriver.

........my dog was able to chase ducks around on the ice on the local lake

........my heating has been on 3 times in a week!

Mike
....The recycling bin in the yard froze shut.

....S*d using the heating... I dragged out my ex-service woolie-pullie... 8)

:D

Benchwayze":1io2mpe7 said:
... I dragged out my ex-service woolie-pullie... 8)

Duffle coat next John, then the cocoa with a big tot of Navy Neaters in it :wink: :lol:...and if you do, can I have sippers? :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":hru0fi51 said:
Benchwayze":hru0fi51 said:
... I dragged out my ex-service woolie-pullie... 8)

Duffle coat next John, then the cocoa with a big tot of Navy Neaters in it :wink: :lol:...and if you do, can I have sippers? :lol: - Rob

Any time Rob. I haven't forgotten how to make the kye (Complete with custard powder and Carnation milk! )

Although Woods 100 is the nearest I can get to genuine Pussers Rum!

Happy Christmas Rob.
John
:ho2

Just remembered Mike...

Our local Fire Service had a call out the other day to rescue a dog that had wandered onto the ice and fallen through. This was also chasing ducks!

Safely rescued of course! :)

Happy Christmas.

John :)

Well now we are going OT ! Kye ???? Mr Google didn't give me anything, not even limiting him to UK pages.

Kye + custard lead me of all things to a forum on Jamie Oliver's site - custard with brandy but there may be more to it than that!

It seems my interest lies in food at the moment - I put a question onto uk.rec.diy seeking a forum about breadmaking and got 58 replies as to what we were doing wrong!

OW

Well it might be spelled Ki I don't know for sure! I believe it's an Indian word, so how it is actually spelled is probably in Sanskrit.

The recipe is simple, Alf, but it requires the plain cooking chocolate, wot comes in bars. (It used to be Rowntrees!)

John :D

Back