BS400 Troubleshooting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibeht

Reaction score
HI All,

Hope someone can give me some possible solutions to my BS400 issues.

The BS400 stopped working recently and I suspected the power switch, this had played up before but a bit of jiggery pockery got it working again. Alas for a few goes only. I have received a new Power switch and swapped out. This allowed the machine to start up and the blade ran, however, the minute I tried to cut any sort of wood it would just click and power off. I thought I had perhaps miswired the switch but I double checked and all okay, however on my third try of starting the machine and testing with wood to see if I could smell burning or anything the machine decided to no longer start up.

I would add I am a novice to woodworking and my background definitely isn't electrics and machinery so any help/advice/insights would be gladly received. Machine is out of warranty and have had no joy finding someone to take a look at it in my location. Whilst I have had it since 2015, it really is a very rarely used machine.

Any insight would be appreciated as I now would like to avoid just buying another power switch for the same thing to happen, if in fact the power switch has gone again due to another component blowing it ?

With you having little or no electrical knowledge then you are better off trying to get help from someone who does . It could be something as simple as a damaged cable or loose connection but for safety reasons I’d not be comfortable in advising you directly. Unlikely to be the switch again but not impossible. More likely there is another issue that is the root cause of the fault. A good many members have this machine or similar so hopefully they will be able to help further .

Yes the BS400 is not complicated but having an electrical background would help.

This is the wiring diagram, albeit somewhat poor.

1680717839764.png

Those two closed switches to the right of SB are micro switches, one for each of the access doors and they are there to prevent operation if either door is open. These switches can be clogged with saw dust or it is possible for the striker fitted to the door to be mis aligned and so not operating the switch.

Now this might not be your issue, it has caused me a few problems in the past. Your machine starts and sounds like lacking power, how old is the machine ?

Thanks Bingy Man, Yes definitely a case of if no obvious case to replace a part i will have to keep trying to find someone willing to take a look as lack of knowledge is too dangerous :). I am in rural south lincs and not had much joy with anybody willing to take a look.

Thank you Spectric, I did pump some air through the micro switches, I too have had issue with them before but under warranty that time. I checked the strikers were not loose etc but obviously my checks are not full proof. Just seems funny that it started fine on the power switch being changed over and just failed to take any sort of load.

I think may have to keep trying to find an electrician that is willing to take a look.

True as that may be, the chances of finding out the cause might be attained with meticulous
detail of ruling things out prior, and photographs help too.
There's a lot of detail left out, and I wouldn't plug it in again.

(the age old adage applies here, If in doubt then keep it unplugged.)
with that said...
Start with that, info on the obvious visuals, as tedious as that may be,
Explain more, did you do your prior test with the blade and belt removed,
has it got a motor brake, does the wheel spin freely,
one or two capacitors, did it seem warm at the time.

Did you wait a long time, whatever that could be, I'd let others suggest after it being unplugged, to flip the motor terminal cover off to see if the connections were touching.

You stand a much better chance of mentioning that you would adhere to that,
and also mentioning you would be patient enough not to go by some youtubers videos,
unless perhaps some which maybe suggested here, which is unlikely TBH
and will wait until you get a definitive answer before proceeding.

Chances are you can completely fault find the issue without requiring it to be plugged in,
but you may have to buy perhaps a cheap multi meter for doing the bare minimum,
(continuity testing)
That's what would be expected at the farthest depths of what a joe soap's abilities,
but that's just a guess from another.

Good luck

Thanks Bingy Man, Yes definitely a case of if no obvious case to replace a part i will have to keep trying to find someone willing to take a look as lack of knowledge is too dangerous :). I am in rural south lincs and not had much joy with anybody willing to take a look.

Thank you Spectric, I did pump some air through the micro switches, I too have had issue with them before but under warranty that time. I checked the strikers were not loose etc but obviously my checks are not full proof. Just seems funny that it started fine on the power switch being changed over and just failed to take any sort of load.

I think may have to keep trying to find an electrician that is willing to take a look.
pm'd you.

True as that may be, the chances of finding out the cause might be attained with meticulous

with that said...

Did you wait a long time, whatever that could be, I'd let others suggest after it being unplugged, to flip the motor terminal cover off to see if the connections were touching.

and also mentioning you would be patient enough not to go by some youtubers videos,

Chances are you can completely fault find the issue without requiring it to be plugged in,

with that said...

(continuity testing)
That's what would be expected at the farthest depths of what a joe soap's abilities,

Good luck

(continuity testing)
Hi Ttrees,

Thank you for input, yes agree I need to look further into and try and eliminate things. I have actually taken the switch out again and one of the connections had come off, not sure if this happened when putting back into machine or when I just took out (again!!), but as a precaution I have ordered another power switch to see if I had blown the switch due to this loose/disconnected cable. Will advise.

Thanks again, Graham

Nibeht - I'm near Grantham and could take a look for you if it helps.

G.
Hi Gordon

Thank you, your offer is very much appreciated. I have just ordered another switch, as per above response to Ttrees. May I get back to you on this if no joy. Have had another offer of a visit as well so very much appreciate the help and may have to get the coffee, tea and biscuits ready :)

Kind regards,
Graham

Hi All,

Well really lost to as what happened. I went to take a look at doing some basic troubleshooting. But initially thought would try power switch again just in case (and Kind of wishful thinking), and it powered up. It worked straight off the bat ?

I had done nothing to it since yesterdays non starting. I can only presume that something had overheated\tripped. It was probably due to the loose/disconnected wire I found althought didn't start after I had sorted this. I will probably talk to Record Power to find out if there is some sort of trip/time delay after such an event, can't think of any other reason for it to start after having been left overnight.

I used the Bandsaw for around 20 minutes, just cutting up old off cuts of ply, mdf and cherry etc to test. Didn't miss a heart beat. Will keep the spare power switch for future possible use when it arrives :)

I would like to say thank you for all of your input and especially to the offers of paying a visit and helping troubleshoot.

All the best
Graham

Not familiar with the machine but wondering about your disconnected cable. Are they Lucar type push on space connectors? If so I would certainly want to check them carefully, especially the one that came off. They should need a firm push to go on. If they are loose then you can often squeeze the jaws on the female connector together very carefully with pliers to close them up a bit, do this with the cable disconnected from its male spade, then hopefully once you push it back on it should be a nice tight fit.

Electric voodoo?
Don't assume it will continue workinng :-(
(guess) poor / corroded/ partially made connector.
Power off, go through all you can find and push on / off / inspect?

good luck Graham.

Not familiar with the machine but wondering about your disconnected cable. Are they Lucar type push on space connectors? If so I would certainly want to check them carefully, especially the one that came off. They should need a firm push to go on. If they are loose then you can often squeeze the jaws on the female connector together very carefully with pliers to close them up a bit, do this with the cable disconnected from its male spade, then hopefully once you push it back on it should be a nice tight fit.

Hi Fergie,

Yes they are lucar type and lucky enough I did what you recommended after finding it disconnected. I also checked the others and they were tight to pull off.

many thanks,
Graham

Electric voodoo?
Don't assume it will continue workinng :-(
(guess) poor / corroded/ partially made connector.
Power off, go through all you can find and push on / off / inspect?

good luck Graham.
Thanks for the good luck wishes, am hoping to do some work on there tomorrow, so hopefully it hasn't changed it's mind again :).... I did run for 20 minutes cutting various thicknesses and no issues so am hoping it was down to that loose connection. Will talk with Power Record when open next, to see if there could be a timeout/delay if an overload or something a kin to that happened due to loose/disconnected wire. Record Power did pass on a full full wiring breakdown of the connectors, showing electric supply (4 wires), Motor output (3 wires) and each micro switch having two wires and then two earths. Doesn't make me want to mess with it but at least a good insight to what is what and what goes where :)

Will let you know if the machine has a meltdown in the next day.

Thanks again and all the best,
Graham

Just an update and thanks again. It has worked absolutely fine since last message, so obviously a loose wire initially and then some kind of time out on the being tripped. Have asked Record Power but nothing todate. Thanks again for your offers of help and your ideas.

All the best,
Graham

If not mentioned - dust in the safety switches on the doors.
I periodically put the hoover hose over the switch as once my B/S stopped working. Thought it was the main power switch, but in general gave it a bit of a hoover out then noticed quite a build up around the small peg thing that operated the switch as the door closes. Worked after doing that so now its a matter of course.

Last edited:
Back