It's so cold that...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was minus 10 celcius the other day, couldn't even open my eyes from snow!

Pussers Rum!

WOW...that brings back memories. I would have lunch in that bar in Road Town every day...watching the American tourists sampling the overproof!

p144049-Tortola-Roadtown_Pussers_Outpost.jpg

LURVERLY STUFF!!!

Jim

Benchwayze":1nyzn3uj said:
The recipe is simple, Alf, but it requires the plain cooking chocolate, wot comes in bars. (It used to be Rowntrees!)
Well so I thought, but then you mentioned custard powder. I asked the old man (Gunnery officer, but don't hold that against him. Nice bloke despite that :wink: ) and he found that a novel addition. Of course it set him off on a tirade that these days they were probably given high energy sports drinks and what use was that in the middle watch in the North Atlantic? I couldn't really argue.

As for pusser's rum, that reminds me we're coming up for the annual effort by my brother to get my dad to open his bottle of the stuff "Because it's Christmas". No luck so far. Reckon the old man's proposing to be buried with the stuff...

Well Alf,

Tell your Old Feller the custard powder was a 'refinement' that the Minesweeper Squadron in the Med adopted. Just makes it that bit smoother.

The rum was supposed to be a secret. When I was on Grog, I remembered that water freezes and alcohol doesn't. So I was one of the few lower-deck rates who had his own supply of 'neaters' and I took more rum with my Kye!

Until the Buffer looked in the mess-deck fridge, and I had to share! :whistle: Nothing against the Gunners. I was a TAS-Instructor. So much barrack time helped me develop my woodwork. :wink:

Merry Christmas Alf

:eek:ccasion5: :ho2

Benchwayze":2i7lxyy0 said:
The rum was supposed to be a secret. When I was on Grog, I remembered that water freezes and alcohol doesn't. So I was one of the few lower-deck rates who had his own supply of 'neaters' and I took more rum with my Kye!

My old man was REME and worked on tanks on the ships in the gulf for a while. He used to trade Neaters for access to the freezer to keep his beer cood. It was all good until the evening film ended early and the rest of the men came back to find him and a mate drinking ice cold beer :wink:

One Christmas years ago when I were a lad, my dad who was still in the RN at the time, smuggled his tot out of barracks each day prior to Christmas under the bonnet of his motor. I remember asking him what would happen if he got caught...he declined to answer :shock:

I've got visions of John on the bridge of 'Compass Rose' with Jack Hawkins...duffle coat and polo necked jumper with a tin mug of cocoa in hand - Rob

woodbloke":31d4doxj said:
One Christmas years ago when I were a lad, my dad who was still in the RN at the time, smuggled his tot out of barracks each day prior to Christmas under the bonnet of his motor. I remember asking him what would happen if he got caught...he declined to answer :shock:

I've got visions of John on the bridge of 'Compass Rose' with Jack Hawkins...duffle coat and polo necked jumper with a tin mug of cocoa in hand - Rob

The visions are much more tolerable than the real thing Rob! (Swing the lamps!)

I am waiting for someone to issue 'The Cruel Sea' on a remastered, and 'coloured-in' DVD, like they just did with 'Wonderful Life'!

Great films both.
John

:D

Benchwayze":3vlkkm1i said:
I am waiting for someone to issue 'The Cruel Sea' on a remastered, and 'coloured-in' DVD, like they just did with 'Wonderful Life'!
Waiting in a "Oh please, God, no, don't do it" kinda way...? :lol:

I'll pass on the custard info; all this is having the side benefit of getting the old man reminiscing, which is always entertaining.

frugal":2p3ey2ms said:
Benchwayze":2p3ey2ms said:

My old man was REME and worked on tanks on the ships in the gulf for a while. He used to trade Neaters for access to the freezer to keep his beer cood. It was all good until the evening film ended early and the rest of the men came back to find him and a mate drinking ice cold beer :wink:

I know the RASC are referred to as 'Run Away, Someone's Coming', Is there a similar 'nom de plume', for the REME I wonder?

Cheers Frugal.

John :ho2

Alf":3l8a3dz1 said:
Benchwayze":3l8a3dz1 said:
Waiting in a "Oh please, God, no, don't do it" kinda way...? :lol:

I'll pass on the custard info; all this is having the side benefit of getting the old man reminiscing, which is always entertaining.

Re the 'Cruel Sea' I think you got it in one Alf.

I will remember the 'entertaining' bit though, and caution myself not to bore my kids! FWIW and for the Auld Feller's info, I was at HMS Ganges in 1954/55.

John :ho2

Latest posts

Back