Isopon body filler - what a 'con' !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect that with Ronseal you get what it 'says on the tin' lol i.e. they state 275 grams which is the weight of the filler you will be getting. With Isopon they are quoting a volume (of the tin). 250 grams of Isopon wouldn't be the same as a volume of 250 ml hence why it looks less. Isopon would be better to quote the weight of the product as per Ronseal. It is bit bizarre of Isopon really as they are using weight to check the fill levels. I am sure both are very good fillers.

So how much does the product weigh given that it’s widely touted that volume and weight are interchangeable in the metric system? Does their blurb contain the magic words “When Filled”?

So how much does the product weigh given that it’s widely touted that volume and weight are interchangeable in the metric system?
No idea bt it is irrelevant anyway. If the tin is sold as having 250ml inside it then that is what Sales of Goods Act states should be inside.

"When filled" ,,,,that's laugh...filled to where ? Anyway, it doesn't say that.

No idea bt it is irrelevant anyway. If the tin is sold as having 250ml inside it then that is what Sales of Goods Act states should be inside.

"When filled" ,,,,that's laugh...filled to where ? Anyway, it doesn't say that.
Well the reply to you that you posted had no mention of volume but the product must be vacuum sealed hence the difficulty some encounter when removing the lids? So 250g that they quote measures 250ml and then they suck the air out. Normal practise with body filler is to open the tin and stir it which re aerated it it brings it back to 250ml.
All that aside best of luck in your battle with the company at £8.50 for a 250ml tin your claim if proven must be worth in excess of £1.50 so well worth giving yourself a heart attack over😂

That's not QED at all - - - you haven't factored in the SG of the product.

I have no idea what the SG of the product is (it will certainly be greater than 1 though) but assuming that the fill is at the lowest end of the allowable amount (97.5% of 250ml) then if the SG is 1.3 then you do have 243.75ml which is within tollerance.

Should the SG be greater then you have more than the minimum allowd to be within the legal limit.

(To be pedantic, the figures you quote means that if it were distilled water at 4°C then it would be 186.96ml)
Sorry, but you're talking nonsense! You are confusing volume and weight. The OP is complaining about the VOLUME of product in the tin. It doesn't matter if it has a SG of 0.5 or 10.0 - the volume should be exactly the same. The WEIGHT of a given volume will vary with SG, but that's not what is being discussed.

There's an awful lot of rubbish written on these pages, such as the above, and the stuff about 'volatile compounds needing expansion space'. Armchair experts spouting cobblers! If that had been a reason, don't you think the Isopon employee that replied to the OP would have mentioned it?

Sorry to be grumpy, but I get very frustrated with such pontifications!

So how much does the product weigh given that it’s widely touted that volume and weight are interchangeable in the metric system? Does their blurb contain the magic words “When Filled”?
Here's another bit of 'armchair expert' nonsense. "...volume and weight are interchangeable in the metric system". So 1cc of hydrogen and 1cc of lead both weight 1g do they? Come on - think about it!

Here's another bit of 'armchair expert' nonsense. "...volume and weight are interchangeable in the metric system". So 1cc of hydrogen and 1cc of lead both weight 1g do they? Come on - think about it!
Don’t be silly you are talking apples and oranges

Well the reply to you that you posted had no mention of volume but the product must be vacuum sealed hence the difficulty some encounter when removing the lids? So 250g that they quote measures 250ml and then they suck the air out. Normal practise with body filler is to open the tin and stir it which re aerated it it brings it back to 250ml.
All that aside best of luck in your battle with the company at £8.50 for a 250ml tin your claim if proven must be worth in excess of £1.50 so well worth giving yourself a heart attack over😂
Sorry but that sounds utter nonsense. The reason why it is hard to open the tin is friction. Nothing at all to do with it having a vacuum inside it!

Re your last sentence...it's the principle that is more important.

Sorry, but you're talking nonsense! You are confusing volume and weight. The OP is complaining about the VOLUME of product in the tin. It doesn't matter if it has a SG of 0.5 or 10.0 - the volume should be exactly the same. The WEIGHT of a given volume will vary with SG, but that's not what is being discussed.

There's an awful lot of rubbish written on these pages, such as the above, and the stuff about 'volatile compounds needing expansion space'. Armchair experts spouting cobblers! If that had been a reason, don't you think the Isopon employee that replied to the OP would have mentioned it?

Sorry to be grumpy, but I get very frustrated with such pontifications!
Spot on, Phil. Your post is a breath of fresh air.

Sorry but that sounds utter nonsense. The reason why it is hard to open the tin is friction. Nothing at all to do with it having a vacuum inside it!

Re your last sentence...it's the principle that is more important.
It’s not friction Roger I may have opened a few more tins of filler than you would realise because I grew up around the family body shop. Upon opening you can hear and feel the release. Principles are fine things but some enjoy standing up for them to an odd extent have fun!

Care to expand ? PhilTilson is bang on the money with his post. Perhaps you snuck off school the day that they taught weights and measures and specific gravity :ROFLMAO:
I didn’t miss the difference between a solid and a gas body filler until catalysed is a liquid.

It’s not friction Roger I may have opened a few more tins of filler than you would realise because I grew up around the family body shop. Upon opening you can hear and feel the release. Principles are fine things but some enjoy standing up for them to an odd extent have fun!
If there was a vacuum inside then why are tins just as difficult to open on subsequent occasions. No matter...you can believe whatever you want to.

Messers Tilson and RogerS, in absolute support of your positions, and as an empirical science teacher of 37 years experience, I contend quite a lot of the other 'froth' in this thread would have ended up on the Staff Notice Board yearly collection of exam bloopers... Horse and dihydrogen oxide come to mind.

Last edited:
If there was a vacuum inside then why are tins just as difficult to open on subsequent occasions. No matter...you can believe whatever you want to.
They are not the containers become obviously easier to open on subsequent occasions and the product deteriorates once the seal is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back