Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the above yesterday as I'm in the middle of decorating the bedroom at home.
The tin states 550g on the side....Is this the weight of the contents or the total weight of the tin + the contents...?

The reason for asking is, upon opening the tin, it's less than half full....!!!đź‘Ž
16169302395983293647258861263288.jpg
16169304051177677749327755244803.jpg

Send the photo to the shop / outfit you bought it from. Clean sides shows it's never held paint.
Bad manufacturing /QA IMHO? You should get your money back.
If not, UK Weights and Measures / trading standards.

I got it from Screwfix....I suppose I should weigh the tin now as it stands and see if the total weight is 550g.....If it is, I suppose I've got what I paid for but why make the tin that big...?

Edit.
I've just weighed the tin, plastic lid, hardener and black plastic spreader and it comes to 677g...so the 550g must mean the weight of the contents but that certainly doesn't explain why the tin is that big...!

The size of the tin may be due to the adoption of standard size packaging, packaging machinery size constraints, or the need for the container to fit the product + a recessed space for the hardener etc.

OTOH they could charge more for a fuller can, or reduce the contents to fit a smaller can size!!

The size of the tin may be due to the adoption of standard size packaging, packaging machinery size constraints, or the need for the container to fit the product + a recessed space for the hardener etc.

OTOH they could charge more for a fuller can, or reduce the contents to fit a smaller can size!!
Whichever, would be better than a half full tin? I bet most customers think they've been done!

Always assumed it was something to do with the chemicals inside. Either some risk of an exotherm if confined or else maybe the mixture needs more space in the tin during manufacture/canning to offgas or something?

I have/ had a smaller tin of the same filler that I haven't used for a few years and when I opened it up, it had gone off. Hence the need to buy another tin.
It states 275g on the side of the tin but was almost completely full when I bought it, so i dont think the offgas/expansion is the reason.

It's just a con in my opinion to give you/me the impression you are getting more for your money than you actually are when you look at the overall size of the tin.

A bit like Mars bars & Twix bars.....Much smaller than they used to be and yet far more money...

It probably depends on the solvent used - a water based filler - brummer (iirc), or similar - would be full but a styrene based one will be half full, maybe to allow for gas expansion. I've used a few brands and I've not seen a new tin any other than half full (or thereabouts).

I bought one can last summer and it was like this. It did the job well but was left with a feeling I had been conned as it is not cheap, you open it up and there is less than you were expecting!

Back