Isopon body filler - what a 'con' !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There does need to be room for expansion, but how much, is the question? - I surmise. Personally, I don't care.
Another example, in the days of me running a car repair business, paint was mixed by a supplier as required, very often 1/2L (min. amount), & if they had no 500ml tins then a litre tin would be delivered 1/2 full. What argument would that cause? - None what-so-ever!
INMHO I cannot see the point of this thread anyway :unsure: ;):mad::dunno::ROFLMAO:

Quite a few years ago in the UK I heard a radio interview with someone from a pharmaceutical company. The interviewer complained about the tiny print on medicinal product packaging and asked why they don't just make the package bigger so the text could be bigger. The response was that if they did that they would have problems because the size of the package could mislead buyers about the amount of product they were buying. I don't recall if they meant there were regulations about that, or if they would just get customer complains, but maybe there are regulations that apply.

Leaving aside all the preceding posts, the comany is misleading customers.

Bought a new tin today. Diameter of tin 115mm. Depth of product 18mm. Equals 190mL. Contents as advertised on the tin 250mL. Rip off.

QED.

Bought a new tin today. Diameter of tin 115mm. Depth of product 18mm. Equals 190mL. Contents as advertised on the tin 250mL. Rip off.

QED.
Are you going to pen them a letter?

Are you going to pen them a letter?
Been in contact with them.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 16.07.42.png

Note the lack of any reference to 250mL which is on the tin and which is how they are marketing/selling it. Bit like going into a garage and buying 10 litres of petrol but only getting 8.

QED.
That's not QED at all - - - you haven't factored in the SG of the product.

I have no idea what the SG of the product is (it will certainly be greater than 1 though) but assuming that the fill is at the lowest end of the allowable amount (97.5% of 250ml) then if the SG is 1.3 then you do have 243.75ml which is within tollerance.

Should the SG be greater then you have more than the minimum allowd to be within the legal limit.

(To be pedantic, the figures you quote means that if it were distilled water at 4°C then it would be 186.96ml)

Last edited:
That's not QED at all - - - you haven't factored in the SG of the product.

I have no idea what the SG of the product is (it will certainly be greater than 1 though) but assuming that the fill is at the lowest end of the allowable amount (97.5% of 250ml) then if the SG is 1.3 then you do have 243.75ml which is within tollerance.

Should the SG be greater then you have more than the minimum allowd to be within the legal limit.

(To be pedantic, the figures you quote means that if it were distilled water at 4°C then it would be 186.96ml)
Well aware of SG, thank you.

You're wrong. If a tin says it contains 250ml of something then 250ml is what it is supposed to contain. How much milk is in a pint of milk ?

Well aware of SG, thank you.

You're wrong. If a tin says it contains 250ml of something then 250ml is what it is supposed to contain. How much milk is in a pint of milk ?
Sounnds like one for the Weights & Measures Dept., or whatever made up name they call themselves these days.

Isn't there a small tube of hardener in the lid? If so, then that counts towards the volume.

Isn't there a small tube of hardener in the lid? If so, then that counts towards the volume.
As I mentioned above, there is a small sachet of negligible volume and certainly not enough to meet the specified volume.

The tube is interesting. Toolstation sell BigBoy body filler. The reviews are full of 5* that bear no resemblance to reality that one starts to think that most are planted. You have to look at the 1* reviews to get the reality.

They do supply a large tube of hardener. 80% of the tube is air. Not enough to do the entire tin and so you have to buy more.

The 600ml tin only has 500ml in it.

The colour of the stuff is pale green which means it is impossible to see if you have mixed in the hardener properly ...the hardener colour (pink) being masked by the green. At least Isopon is light grey and so avoids this.

The tin is made from tissue paper and self-destructs if you want to open and close it through the usage.

Mmmm. Agree a ml (millilitre) is a metric unit of volume commonly used for measuring liquids such as water. milk etc. I can only assume that as they are using weight to measure fill they really mean 250 g and are putting it in a 250 ml volume tin. From which one could work out the SG. Maybe its in the small print?

Mmmm. Agree a ml (millilitre) is a metric unit of volume commonly used for measuring liquids such as water. milk etc. I can only assume that as they are using weight to measure fill they really mean 250 g and are putting it in a 250 ml volume tin. From which one could work out the SG. Maybe its in the small print?
Definitely not. It's misrepresentation - pure and simple. The tin clearly has 250ml printed on it.

Isopon not miss-representing the size of the tin LOL:D but what's in it(n).
Here's how Ronseal labels their wood filler.

Attachments

• 20231027_111442.jpg
    20231027_111442.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 0
Has anyone looked at the metal lid, it is very deep and is used to hold the hardener and instructions so when fitted there is very little airspace.

Why has isopon caused such a fuss when there are dozens of other examples, ie bags of crisp, a box of cereal or many other food products. We should also not overlook the other marketing tactic's such as the shape of the container or the ones with false bottoms, ie very concave.

Isopon is a great wood filler, infact a much better filler than polyfiller and it is only the cost which probably limits it's more widespread use, if you lived in the eighties then it was also used to fill all the holes in your leyland, vauxhall or ford car, not so much on the Italian cars because you needed so much that it was not cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back