Is Triton TWSS10 Whetstone any good, or better suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoatally

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a look round and the Robert Sorby Proedge system but at £350 it's pretty steep.

I found the Triton whetstone that also has a number of jigs including a turning gouge jig. At £180 plus a couple of jigs its half the price of the proedge.

I'm looking for a one stop system to sharpen chisels, planes and turning tools - if there is one. What does anyone think of the above, or any other suggestions?

Cheers

I can't comment directly, but suspect the Triton will be very similar to the similarly priced ones from e.g. Jet, Record, Scheppah (if that's how you spell it!).

I suspect it'll be a bit of 'you get what you pay for', but if you're hobbyist, a few hundred quid on a Pro Edge or a Tormek is probably too much. Having said that, I seem to remember seeing an advert for a new cheaper Tormek just come out - might be worth a look.

I went to Axminster today and saw what I can only assume is the smaller tormek.

Iwoild agree that they all look very similar but the triton is winning through by merit of the price I can get it for. The new tormek is still £250

Stoatally":8h6z6i7z said:
......I'm looking for a one stop system to sharpen chisels, planes and turning tools - if there is one. What does anyone think of the above, or any other suggestions?

Cheers

Don't think that you will manage the latter with any degree of satisfaction on a wet grinder,
1. Sharpening Turning Gouges on a wet grinder rapidly grooves the wheel
2. This means you have to dress (flatten) the wheel regularly for good straight edge sharpening
3. Although producing an excellent edge to turning gouges the fine edge is rapidly lost on most woods and requires precise setting of jigs and tools if you use them to match profile, not relevant if you freehand sharpen.

Well I don't have either of these but I have read a few turners' comments to the effect that once they tried the proedge they sold their Tormek. The usual comment is the Tormek is much too slow by comparison. I get by with a Clarke (yes, I know now, but I didn't know what Clarke was like when I bought it) wet and dry grinder and a home made wolverine type jig. I would love a proedge but since it costs more than what I spent in buying my Viceroy lathe, it is not a justifiable purchase. Also I think it is overpriced for a belt sander with benefits.

K

I own the triton and and although ivd had mixed experience with triton tools the grinder is a winner.

No complaints. Some think the diamond wheel is a bit aggressive but i don't mind it, a polish on the leather wheel and you have something akin to a razor.

The jigs are fairly cheap and i think all these machines can use each others jigs as they have the same diameter bar.

Is the Triton capable of honing planner thicknesser blades? I wonder if the Tomec fitting is compatible.

Mike

I cant see why not.

I see the tormek uses its own support for that so i guess its down to the distance between the 2 supporting legs and the bar diameter. If anyone has the jig and could measure those then i could messure the triton and see if its a possible match

Back