Is this safe ????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
A small park has been bulldozed near a friends, so this week I took my camera along thinking it would be interesting after last nights torrential rain.

The building in the pic is an end terrace. No idea what they are planning on building.

safe.JPG

safe 2.JPG

Don't think I would sleep well if that was my house.

Attachments

• safe.JPG
    safe.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,326
  • safe 2.JPG
    safe 2.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 1,326
Doesn't look too clever but the end wall looks fairly new so may have new foundations too?

Rod

Those foundations would have to be extremely deep considering how close the excavation is. Cause for real concern I would say, but this is not my field of expertise. I would however recommend that a structural engineer takes a look at it.. Seriously. Really seriously. :shock:

Cheers
Steve.

The concrete you can see is the new foundation that was put in before the new wall. It will be interesting to watch the wall for new cracks.

Grayorm":3c39c47y said:
The concrete you can see is the new foundation that was put in before the new wall. It will be interesting to watch the wall for new cracks.
Was the builder having a "larf"?

Owner needs to inform/involve their ins co, and local planning etc!

The owner of the party wall would have signed a party wall agreement so will be aware of what's going on, it's part of the planning permission.
The concrete blocks in the foreground look like they were installed prior to the excavations to form a retaining wall, so it looks to me like the correct contingency plans have been put in place.

Cheers.

Doug

The concrete blocks are possibly underpinning that was poured to build the new gable wall on. I think if it were there to allow this excavation it would go to the full depth of the dig. A party wall agreement wouldn't be required as they haven't touched the wall of the property still standing, nor have they taken an adjacent wall down as it was a park according to the post.

I thought the party wall act said if you were excavating within 3 metres of a structure and any part of the excavation will go below the foundations you will need a party wall agreement?

Gav

gav":3tb6j94z said:
I thought the party wall act said if you were excavating within 3 metres of a structure and any part of the excavation will go below the foundations you will need a party wall agreement?

Gav

You might well be right Gav. My only contact with it was when doing loft conversions. It was my impression that it related to a joint wall that connected 2 properties. I stand corrected. :wink:

Back