Is this elm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that this is elm please. The woman I got it from didn't know what any of the wood she had was. None of it was sealed at the ends and most of it has cracks throughout! She is a 'wood turner'.

Having to cut round the cracks but there seems to be enough for little boxes like this and the inevitable weed pots.

This box is 65mm wide and 90mm high. Just walnut oil. Nice wood to turn.

Attachments

• 100_1759.jpg
    100_1759.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 859
Could be, difficult to say from a snap, but I think not. Elm is a bit more "dramatic" - more like oak or chestnut, and heavy, difficult to turn.
I guess walnut, which can look like that and is nice to turn.
Could be something entirely different!

Jacob":13dylz4e said:
Could be, difficult to say from a snap, but I think not. Elm is a bit more "dramatic" - more like oak or chestnut, and heavy, difficult to turn.
I guess walnut, which can look like that and is nice to turn.
Could be something entirely different!
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reply. Its definitely not walnut, it feels totally different and is not so dense. The wood feels almost feathery although its quite smooth. I suspect that if it is elm it will be 'French' Elm. Looking at old tables that are known to be French Elm, they have a definite golden glow to them which this one shares.

I wish I knew a bit more about various woods - all my training has been in the ones typically used for musical instruments. When a customer asks what wood something is made of, its a bit embarrassing not to know.

Just checked in my book and walnut is heavier than elm, which surprised me. But I was right about working it - walnut easy, elm difficult (it sez 'ere).
I wouldn't be embarrassed about not knowing - just make a wild guess but say (knowingly) that it's often difficult to tell, without a microscope etc. :roll:

Looks more like Elm to me, all the Walnut I have here is much darker, (chocolate brown rather than red ) and denser grain structure.

A bit late for the vote, but I'd go with Elm. I've got some old Wych Elm which looks very similar. I've also noticed Elm tends to whiff a bit when worked (tho possibly just my luck to have a couple of smelly pieces!).

Back