Is This Acceptable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paul11":3dnesz11 said:
Took the wood back this morning and the guy insisted there was nothing wrong with it and as we all know that is total BS. Told him it was no good for what I wanted and then he gave me my money back and he was not happy doing this. I wouldn't waste my time making anything out of that wood even if it was free and the people that say this is ok are the one's cutting the trees down and just trying to screw us for every penny they can. You wont see many Joiners asking for it at £81 a cubic foot + VAT.

Hang on, you bought it, you cut his boards in half, you returned it, he gave you the money back even though you had damaged the goods ............ and your slagging him off. I think you should be grateful your not out of pocket and he has returned your money. You have learnt a valuable lesson at his expense.

I'm not slagging him off I'm just stating the facts as they are. Maybe he will learn a lesson from this and stop trying to sell poor quality timber for the price of best quality. As you can't work this out for yourself I will explain it to you. I cut the wood in half and part planed 2 sides on one piece and to use your words it was now damaged goods and he still gave me my money back. Have you worked it out yet? yes that's it, he could see what rubbish it was and had no choice but to give me a full refund, you just can't argue with the truth can you.

If the timber complies with the grading rules, then I would suggest it is not 'poor quality' more that the timber is at the bottom end of the specification.

usually returns for timber are only accepted if returned uncut, so the supplier has gone beyond his obligation by providing you with a full refund, which you are saying is proof of his wrongdoing rather than yours for cutting the boards before deciding you were unhappy with them.

List price for 50mm super prime ABW is around the £120+vat mark, so your price of £81.00+vat, I dont see as poor quality timber at best quality price.

paul11":swy5p7k3 said:
I'm not slagging him off I'm just stating the facts as they are. Maybe he will learn a lesson from this and stop trying to sell poor quality timber for the price of best quality. As you can't work this out for yourself I will explain it to you. I cut the wood in half and part planed 2 sides on one piece and to use your words it was now damaged goods and he still gave me my money back. Have you worked it out yet? yes that's it, he could see what rubbish it was and had no choice but to give me a full refund, you just can't argue with the truth can you.

You seem very up tight .......... if a bit of internet aggression directed at me helps you feel better and a bit more right, then I'm pleased to be of service. Any one else wanting a good rant or a whinge please PM me, £5 a go..............

If you'd done as I suggested I think you would have ended up with a beautiful table without all this angst - I'm jus saying there are usually solutions to these problems.
I am going to be very surprised if you turn up walnut wide enough to make a table in solid heartwood but I hope you correct me
Regards Mark

RobinBHM":2b7fb058 said:
If the timber complies with the grading rules, then I would suggest it is not 'poor quality' more that the timber is at the bottom end of the specification.

usually returns for timber are only accepted if returned uncut, so the supplier has gone beyond his obligation by providing you with a full refund, which you are saying is proof of his wrongdoing rather than yours for cutting the boards before deciding you were unhappy with them.

List price for 50mm super prime ABW is around the £120+vat mark, so your price of £81.00+vat, I dont see as poor quality timber at best quality price.
Maybe it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, my £81 was for 25mm not 50. I went to Burtons in Brentwood this afternoon and got some nice grade Walnut £87 a cube and he also gave me some 5 foot pieces of Ash for nothing.

doctor Bob":3eluftae said:
paul11":3eluftae said:

You seem very up tight .......... if a bit of internet aggression directed at me helps you feel better and a bit more right, then I'm pleased to be of service. Any one else wanting a good rant or a whinge please PM me, £5 a go..............
Not aimed at you it's just sometimes you can never get what your paying for.

gasman":1ginnp85 said:
If you'd done as I suggested I think you would have ended up with a beautiful table without all this angst - I'm jus saying there are usually solutions to these problems.
I am going to be very surprised if you turn up walnut wide enough to make a table in solid heartwood but I hope you correct me
Regards Mark
I'm only making a 3D coffee table and it's made from narrow pieces of Walnut and Maple so I don't mind what size boards I just need the colour to be even and dark.

paul11":3g7jrbw1 said:
doctor Bob":3g7jrbw1 said:
paul11":3g7jrbw1 said:

Not aimed at you it's just sometimes you can never get what your paying for.

I'm not bothered but you can't just say it wasn't aimed at me when you say "to use your words", it seems very specifically aimed at me. I just think the chap who gave you a full refund deserves more credit, rather than saying he's talking bullshit, the grading system seems to have been explained very clearly and the way to check boards as well.

I'm not bothered but you can't just say it wasn't aimed at me when you say "to use your words", it seems very specifically aimed at me. I just think the chap who gave you a full refund deserves more credit, rather than saying he's talking baloney, the grading system seems to have been explained very clearly and the way to check boards as well.[/quote]
Well at least I have got some better wood now, I only hope it was all worth it. As for the guy at the yard, he thought he was right and I thought I was right.

"Is This Acceptable" IMO yes but disappointing none the less. AMBW and american cherry can have large amounts of sapwood so if a job is important would always go and hand pick boards. The dealers have had to pay to get this wood in stock and it's inevitable someone is going to get it. Think you were lucky they were so good about taking it back.

Hello,

Does anyone else think it a bit paradoxical, that the light sapwood is unacceptable, so the walnut must be all dark; then it will be mixed with with maple for contrast?!

Why not try to design a product that uses the natural and beautiful contrast between sap and heartwood. Infinitely better than the rather cheesy light and dark stripey effect of mixing disparate wood types. And it uses more of the walnut, which is perfectly fine wood and a precious resourse.

Mike.

Here's the new wood and some free wood as well.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 46
Back