Is this a Rutlands Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit odd, isn't it? The seller on that listing is not shown as a Business Seller so there is no more detailed contact information visible. The description on the QS plane looks like it has been copied and pasted from a merchant's site , with references to "our 'Woodworking Genius' range" and "our TM922 Block Plane" but the text is not from Rutlands, and this plane is described as having rosewood handles where the current Rutlands listing says theirs are bubinga.
If you were thinking of buying from Rightools, I'd be asking Sarah some searching questions about the source of the stock and the after sales service available on what does look as if it aspires to be a similar sort of business, in a much smaller way.

Thinking further, I Googled the descriptive text and it seems very similar to that used by a company called Toolman who say they are based in Sheffield. I'd be wary.

Interesting and informative response Andy.

I was not thinking of purchasing one of their planes myself although if the plane is similar to those at Rutlands or indeed the QS range it would appear to be a consideration for those interested given thr price.

If nothing else it certainly looks the part (each to their own of course).

David

AndyT":30yfgrqw said:
Thinking further, I Googled the descriptive text and it seems very similar to that used by a company called Toolman who say they are based in Sheffield. I'd be wary.

I have bought from Toolman. I don't like the generic "Toolman" branding so that you don't quite know what you are getting - I bought some mortice chisels which in the photo were clearly marked "Hamlet", but Crown were supplied. I spoke to him on the phone and he made his excuses - that since Hamlet Craft Tools had been bought by Henry Taylor, they had gone with Crown rather than Henry Taylor for political reasons. Seemed knowledgeable about Sheffield toolmakers and history, but I'd rather know what I'm getting in future. I also don't see an address or telephone number on their website anymore either, without which I won't be using them.

No idea if "Sarah" is related, or just ripping off their text.

Ask Rutlands.

But seems odd to me as Rutlands are selling these for £99.
Just buy directly from Rutlands......these planes are very good.

Don't Rutlands sell QIangshen planes, while Workshop Heaven sell QUangsheng planes? The QUangsheng version sold by Workshop Heaven also has a rosewood handle.

I have heard in other discussions on here that the quality of the planes is different and I believe the view expressed was that the extra cost for the QUangsheng version was justified by the better quality (I don't own either so this is only what I have read previously, not my personal experience).

These are claiming to be QUangsheng so presumably can't be anything to do with Rutland. Question really is whether somebody is selling the same plane as Workshop Heavan at what looks like about a £10 less. If they are the same I guess it is an individual choice as to whether the peace of mind of buying from Workshop Heaven versus an unknown quantity is worth the £10.

Terry.

I think the quangsheng qiangsheng thing is more about how people choose to translate a chinese word into english. The correct spelling is 屈安胜 曲安圣.
that said I have heard that WH quality control is better than Rutlands, and for sure their customer service is better.

Paddy Roxburgh":18rouufx said:
I think the quangsheng qiangsheng thing is more about how people choose to translate a chinese word into english. The correct spelling is 屈安胜 曲安圣.
that said I have heard that WH quality control is better than Rutlands, and for sure their customer service is better.

Hi, first post on here, although I've been lurking for a while, so go easy on me. Hope I'm not straying too far off OPs topic with my recent experience.

I recently bought a Quangshen low angle block plane with 3 different angle blades and the rebate version from Workshop Heaven. I was having the same issue about price and so on with various sellers. Due to a conversation I'd previously had with a very courteous lady there via email about some firmer chisels I'd purchased, after reading many and various threads and doing the usual research, a light went on and I just emailed her and asked. The WH version of that plane is a version 3. It's apparently been a collaboration between WH and Quangshen as far as I understood. Whether other retailers sell that version, I have no knowledge and it's not my place to say. For me personally, if I'm going to buy new tools, which is pretty rare I want to trust who I'm buying from. I'm not knocking anybody else selling Quangshen or Qiangshen. I just have no experience of buying gear from them so I'm not qualified to say.

I know where I'd put my money though. Just my twopence. Choice is a wonderful thing isn't it? :D
The planes are lovely btw. After 5 weeks off abseiling duties due to a slipped disc, I'm back at work now and I just need to start that porch to actually try them out.

Bm101, I too would always prefer to buy from WH than Rutlands. Matthew, who posts here quite regularly, certainly seems to be someone who is more interested in tools and woodwork than shifting units. Sometimes it's worth a few quid more to know that if there are any problems then they would sort it out. I have had bad service from Rutlands in the past, sometimes when they have items heavily reduced I am tempted but always manage to resist.

Assuming the planes are made in the same factory ( I was told they were but cannot be certain) Would it then be fair to state the WH planes are the "flawless" planes while the ones at sold by Rutlands are perhaps not quite perfect, although too good to end up on scrap pile?

David

Bluekingfisher":39xo78d5 said:
Assuming the planes are made in the same factory ( I was told they were but cannot be certain) Would it then be fair to state the WH planes are the "flawless" planes while the ones at sold by Rutlands are perhaps not quite perfect, although too good to end up on scrap pile?

David

Sounds jolly plausible (given most Chinese manufacturers make for multiple sellers), they just sort them and stick rosewood handles on the ones going to WH and bubinga on the ones for Rutland.

If so the question would be, which pile are the ones going to these guys being taken from, before they put the Rosewood handles on? I have just noticed another difference though, on the WH and Rutland planes the Lever cap is steel and on the Toolman one it is a yellow metal (not sure what). So maybe it is another unique spec altogether.

But of course, none of that changes any questions about customer service, etc.

Terry.

Wizard9999":sjbjt2c7 said:
Bluekingfisher":sjbjt2c7 said:

David

Sounds jolly plausible (given most Chinese manufacturers make for multiple sellers), they just sort them and stick rosewood handles on the ones going to WH and bubinga on the ones for Rutland.

If so the question would be, which pile are the ones going to these guys being taken from, before they put the Rosewood handles on? I have just noticed another difference though, on the WH and Rutland planes the Lever cap is steel and on the Toolman one it is a yellow metal (not sure what). So maybe it is another unique spec altogether.

But of course, none of that changes any questions about customer service, etc.

I personally believe the customer aftercare is almost as important as the tool itself, something which has become more common here in the UK relatively recently. For years we seemed to suffer with, not quite perfect goods, perhaps because our "British reserve" prevented us from complaining too much. Outlets such as Axminster, WH, WWS and even Rutlands have caught onto the fact customers will return and buy again and equally important recommend to others. I believe I came across WH for example due to favourable recommendations made on UKWS.

I would be interested to know if the planes being discussed are actually using Chinese rosewood for tote and handle, rather than bubinga. The yellow metal I suspect is some kind of brass alloy, perhaps to represent or simulate a better known American brand?

David

Latest posts

Back