Is a chip extractor necessary?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":1r0gx7if said:
Interesting the Rutlands version is 550Watt and has an extract of 1150m3/hr
Axminster version is 750watt and has an extract of 850m3/hr can the impeller be that different?

Mike
Performance figures from the various manufacturers need to be taken with a large pinch of salt and examined very carefully to ensure they are comparing like with like. For instance the m3/hr figure is often quoted based on 150 or 200mm port whereas most machines that you connect to only have 100mm port. However you then need to do the maths as a 100mm port is not 2/3rds the area of 150mm it is in fact half. But as Siggy has explained HVLP does not react well to restrictions so there is a further flow reduction. So if you look at a machine rated 1150m3/hr at 150mm you could easily be down to 250m3/hr if using 100mm duct.

In general my experience is that people make two big mistakes with dust collection: 1) they do it as an afterthought and 2) they don't allocate anywhere near enough of their budget to do it properly.

Doing dust collection on the cheap usually results in people buying a system that is not really man enough for the job. This is one of those area where we are better off with a system that is over rather under specified. When manufacturers quote the volume of air that their machine will move, this is on a par with mpg figures quoted by motor manufacturers: fantasy. The measurements are in idea conditions with clean filters. You probably don't work in ideal conditions or have clean filters once you start work.

Having not had sufficient dust extraction previously, this time around I deigned the workshop layout around the extraction set up.

Thanks for all the help. I have decided to re work the workshop space to accommodate a good dust extractor after reading comments and reviews on how buying one shouldn't be an afterthought (although it is in my case).

Any particular makes/models recommended would be appreciated, anything around £500 or so would be my budget.

Thanks again, Rhys.

The lowest priced Axminster (Axminster Hobby Series AWEDE2) works okay on a single machine. About 200 quid.

Straight answer to a straight question: You are likely to be able to use your P/T without a chip extractor, you may have to modify it if the guard for using it as a thicknesser is also a extraction hood, as one designed like that that will almost certainly clog without.

From prior experience:
  • You will end up literally knee deep in shavings,
  • The air will be noticeably more opaque than air is meant to be,
  • You'll go through dust masks like they're going out of fashion,
  • Your skin will feel funny after long period using it due to the layer if dust sticking to it,
and
  • Without wearing sealed goggles you'll inevitably get dust and small chips that are floating about migrating round your safety specs and into your eyes.

So I don't disagree with the points made regarding safety/air quality at all, and wouldn't encourage you to run it without extraction, but it's highly unlikely that you will *need* one to use it.

You will however need a HVLP extractor to provide extraction to a P/T though, no shadow of a doubt... They're generally much more use than a shop vac anyway.

One point to consider, standard bags for extractors tend to allow fine dust through, negating most of the health benefits of using LEV, with this in mind it's worth either:
  • Putting the extractor outside your workspace, say in a purpose built lean-to or a cupboard which vents to the outside but is sealed of from the inside of the building.
OR
  • Buying an extractor which is rated for a greater volume of air than you need to move in order to compensate for loss of efficiency, and fitting it with a bag which is rated for a finer particle size.

MR H 91":i9r1ekpe said:
Thanks for all the help. I have decided to re work the workshop space to accommodate a good dust extractor after reading comments and reviews on how buying one shouldn't be an afterthought (although it is in my case).

Any particular makes/models recommended would be appreciated, anything around £500 or so would be my budget.

Thanks again, Rhys.

This is absolutely brilliant: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 never had such a clean P/T, saw table, router and bandsaw, you don't notice until you come to clean up and find its a very quick 5 minute job, to clean up the bits you dropped not the machine.

Mike

Latest posts

Back