Is a chip extractor necessary?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR H 91

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just purchased a new JET JPT-310 and wondered if it's necessary to have a chip extractor with it to make sure it runs correctly. I only have a small workshop and I could really do without a large chip/dust extractor taking up a lot of useable space. I have a Festool vacuum to go with my Domino mortiser so wondered if this could be used with the planer/thicknesses? I understand it's better to have extraction, especially with the table saw but I simply don't have the room.

Thank you

I know some people don't but mine will clog in seconds without an extractor to say nothing of the mess. I've got a 310mm p/t and use a small Record LVHP extractor which is noisy but works. Your regular vacuum won't cut it.

Yes you'll need an extractor - P/Ts can make a great deal of chips very quickly!

My Kity PT was almost useless without. I had to stop and remove chips after every cut. They got pressed into the wood. The chip extractor has made the PT actually work as intended.

No it's not necessary to have dust extraction. The planer will block up in seconds and the shop will fill with fine dust and big piles of chipings.
Alternatively you could care about your health and read all the posts about wood dust causing cancer and other respatory fatal illnesses and then think whilst looking after my health I could automatically bag up the chipings and dust. It will also save you from putting your hand up the extractor chute to clear the blockage whilst the planer is running.
Sorry to be blunt but we do need to realise that dust extraction is more about health than cleanliness.

A twin motor vacuum may work, I used to use a yorkleen one

http://www.yorkleen.co.uk/documents/pro ... Extractors

Which could extract ok from a planer thicknesser although a vacuum extractor isnt designed to work with large extraction ducting so it isnt an ideal solution, but maybe for short runs a twin motor vacuum like a numatic or similar maybe would be ok and compact enough for you. Not cheap though!

I have the Jet 260, you'll definitely need a chip/dust extractor. I have a 200L Record Power one and can fill it in half an hour sometimes! Is it possible you could build a small lean-to outside your workshop and house it in there? You'll suck all the warm air out of the workshop though.

Simon

RobinBHM":nt4nsdxb said:
A twin motor vacuum may work, I used to use a yorkleen one

http://www.yorkleen.co.uk/documents/pro ... Extractors

Which could extract ok from a planer thicknesser although a vacuum extractor isnt designed to work with large extraction ducting so it isnt an ideal solution, but maybe for short runs a twin motor vacuum like a numatic or similar maybe would be ok and compact enough for you. Not cheap though!

Unfortunately not, I have a twin motor Numatic and it did not clear my PT sufficiently, it would leave behind lots of chipping that ruined the surface of the work and I had to clear it manually, once I put the Axminster 300BC into operation it transformed the planing and thickening operation.

You will have to realise that no matter what size your workshop extraction is as essential as sharp tools, no use having machine tools if they can't work properly and being clogged up with dust and chips will stop them working to their optimum.

Mike

Thanks for the help.

Is there a way I can include an add-on onto my Festool to separate the larger chips from the P/T so that I don't have to buy a larger chip extractor? It's frustrating me because I don't have the room or ability to add a lean to outside the workshop. Basically, I would like to use the power of the Festool vacuum without it filling up so quickly and damaging it for whatever reason.

Thanks again

Sorry but you need a chip extractor, a vacuum cleaner (even a festool) isn't going to cut it.

Your festool will only be good for use through a small diameter hose. Even if you did adapt it the larger hose diameter from your planer would render it useless.
As previously mentioned you need a chip extractor. You can pick them up fairly cheap second hand, and a small one for dedicated use on your planer won't take up loads of room.
If you were wanting to run a piped extraction system then you would need a bigger machine which would take up more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I second what others have said about the practical necessity and health reasons for having proper extraction. I know that this sounds like a luxury and is something peole commonly skinp on, but you really should regard good quality extraction as equally worthy of your hard earned as all your other kit. You can buy as many machines as you like but you can't buy new lungs.

Jim

MR H 91":ttturqp3 said:
Thanks for the help.

Is there a way I can include an add-on onto my Festool to separate the larger chips from the P/T so that I don't have to buy a larger chip extractor? It's frustrating me because I don't have the room or ability to add a lean to outside the workshop. Basically, I would like to use the power of the Festool vacuum without it filling up so quickly and damaging it for whatever reason.

Thanks again
The biggest Festool extractor does 3900 litres per second which sounds a lot but is only 234 M3/hr. Your jet thicknesser says it needs 1500M3/hr. So even if you could fit a cyclone, thein or other separator the theoretical suction is one sixth of what you need. You then need to factor in the inevitable loss of performance and you might be at one tenth of the extraction needed. Now you might get away with 1000M3/hr rather than 1500 in normal use and as long as you are not using the full width of cut. Unfortunately you need to accept the need for adequate extraction.

Interesting the Rutlands version is 550Watt and has an extract of 1150m3/hr
Axminster version is 750watt and has an extract of 850m3/hr can the impeller be that different?

Mike

MR H 91":ueyhep71 said:
Thanks for the help.

Thanks again

In short NO Mr H 91 if you do not have the room for an extractor face the facts you bought the wrong P/T for your facilities, as everyone has already said, you need a chip extractor the Festool will not do it in any way shape or form, did you read this link: a-guide-to-dust-extraction-by-member-siggy-7-t102025.html sorry to be harsh, but it does not matter how many times you ask the same question a vacuum will not work, you need a chip extractor for a P/T.

Mike

I think you are lumping two different machines together because they both basically suck things up. But actually they are completely different animals. The Festool is a low volume high pressure system, good at sucking up a small volume of small dust particles through a small apperture. What you need is a high volume low pressure system, which can handle the high volume of larger particles produced by w P/T.

As I said they are completely different sytems. It's a bit like trying to shift loose ballast in the boot of a sports car when you actually need a tipper!

Chris

Back