Is a Biscuit Joiner a waste of money?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a user of mainly 'proper' joints I still find a biscuit jointer invaluable for keeping parts in alignment.
A simple example is the wardrobes on each side and above our bed, the three separate units are aligned with biscuits. No glue, just biscuits to make sure they don't move, same with several tall cabinets that I've made in a number of pieces.

Roy.

In the 3 concurrent projects I'm working on at the moment (separate thread) I've realised I'm using both the biscuit jointer and joint genie (dowels) for specific jobs when either could do them all....

For the solid wood lippings onto veneered MDF I'm using biscuits, but for assembling the carcasses (for the TV corner unit, wardrobe and storage units) I've used the joint genie as this is totally accurate and by putting in just one dowel at each the dry fit joint is accurate and solidly held to allow the next piece to be positioned. I have used just biscuits in the past for the frame but there is 'slide give' in biscuits - a benefit when fitting lipping but not when fitting carcases if the accuracy of the joint genie is available.

Once a process method is established with the joint genie it is very quick - I dowelled a carcase frame and shelves (two verticals, base and 3 shelves) in less than 15mins including marking out.

but....
if I had to choose one it would be the biscuit jointer as I would have more use for joining boards into panels than anything else and in this role it is quicker than the dowelling jigs.

Finally - if using a biscuit jointer into 18mm MDF or similar make sure the fence is referenced correctly - in my case with the dewalt the biscuit needs to be just higher than centre to avoid the base of the jointer resting on the bench.

Dave

The joint genie looks interesting. I thought dowels must have their place somewhere, for someone.

Looks like Dai is now in the market for a biscuit jointer. Let us know what you get.

oddsocks":wsk0g4qr said:
Finally - if using a biscuit jointer into 18mm MDF or similar make sure the fence is referenced correctly - in my case with the dewalt the biscuit needs to be just higher than centre to avoid the base of the jointer resting on the bench.
If your bench is flat enough, Dave, you could just take the fence off altogether. :)

bj12.jpg

Ray

Or use the bench as a reference for the fence if you are making carcases. But remember to tighten it up, or it will all go horribly wrong. DAMHIKT.

Argee":1q77n4rv said:
oddsocks":1q77n4rv said:
If your bench is flat enough, Dave, you could just take the fence off altogether. :)

Ray

Ray, yes it's flat and I have done that a few times but also got caught out by not ensuring the workpiece was tight against the bench, so now prefer to use the fence and apply downwards pressure to keep the jointer referenced.

Latest posts

Back