Is a Biscuit Joiner a waste of money?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just doing a little research and don't really know much about carpentry tools available. I was thinking are Biscuit Joiners a waste of money as surely you could get a router piece that would do the job? Maybe I've just suggested something stupid and embarassed myself :oops: .
I don't really do enough of this type of work to justify buying a domino tool but am thinking of a router. Anyone recommend anything?

What exactly are you needing to do? Biscuit jointers are very hand machines and much easier to use and setup than the router method. Let us know what it is you are looking to do and we can advise if a BJ is the right tool.

If do decide to get one, I would recommend the Makita - I had one and it worked really well - setup was simple and it aligned everything I tried it on.

That said - I sold it as I didnt find it to be getting much use. I didn't trust them for anything weight bearing so only used them for alignment purposes and found I could do it just as easily and more cheaply with a router bit and a spline.

I worked for years without a biscuit jointer, I used my router with a biscuit cutting bit. I even made wedges on a baseplate for angled biscuit joints. I bought a dedicated biscuit jointer while on offer for the speed of use and haven't used the router cutter since. It is just so convinient to use and any angle can be used quickly. HTH. :wink:

Easy to use, effective, relatively cheap - I found it liberating. And for making carcases I've not found the joints weak.
Working on the LeBodge™ range of crappy cupboards I've found it invaluable for the carcases and also the mitred door surrounds. And if I can use it (mostly) without horrible mistakes, it must be easy.

I got one at the start of the year, and been using it for but joints all I can say is I can't believe why I never bought one sooner, its so easy to use and setup, also ads so much extra strengh to the job and even while building its able to keep the two pieces true while screwing together, almost like an extra set of hand, so would highly recomend one to the toolbox collection

Any 90° joints can be done with a router either freehand or mounted upside-down in a table, using a 4mm/3/16" slot cutter with the appropriate bearing to give you the depth of cut (dependant on biscuit size).

If you wanted to join timber at certain angles (45° mitres, for example), then you'd really need a biscuit jointer on its own. They are quicker to use than having to set up a router. Plus, in some situations, you can also use them as a mini plunge saw!! :wink:

I have one and use it all the time. Its one of those things that you can do without but once you have you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. each to there own though.

waiting to hear from the domino crowd. :lol:

I have just been using the Aldi Biscuit jointer to make up an MDF carcase. So quick, so exact. Well worth the money. I have a biscuit bit for the router, but have still to use it.

In a similar vein of potentially embarrisingly daft questioning can I ask:

"can you just use dowels?"

al la MFI's finest 1980's black MDF construction? Or was it widespread use of dowels that pushed them into administration...

Smudger":1lelyz58 said:
You can if you want to go to a lot more trouble, and use a dowelling jig. A biscuit joiner is an order of magnitude easier.
Agreed Dick, but I was impressed by the Joint Genie I saw at Yandles last year. Again though, when you compare the JG to the ease of use of a biscuiter, it's a bit of no brainer - Rob

It depends on what you are using it for though.

I find using dowels to help alignment when gluing a panel to be just as easy as biscuits, but biscuits win hands down on ease when making MDF carcases. I have never used a domino but it looks similar (in terms of ease of use) to a biscuit.

On the other hand, if you were wanting to use the biscuit joiner for frames you need to consider joint strength. A test of joint strength in FW203 showed the biscuits to add little to a butt joint in terms of strenght (and a domino not much more interestingly) whilst taking the time to do a 'proper' joint such as a M&T added a lot of strength.

Mike Bremner":1czn42v5 said:
If do decide to get one, I would recommend the Makita - I had one and it worked really well - setup was simple and it aligned everything I tried it on.

i'd second that - i wanted the dewalt but bought a makita because the dewalt was out of stock and havent regretted it since

The biggest problem when using a router mounted biscuit bit is when you come to do "T" joints as only one half can be done with that bit, the other needs a 4mm bit.

Also a 3/16" cutter is not the right size, 5/32 is near as dam it 4mm.

A router table would also be a bit iffy for carcase work, don't fancy trying to balance an 8x2 wardrobe side on a small table.

Jason

I like the lack of marking out with the Biscuit Jointer. Position the fence at the edges and plunge, repeat. If the board is wide, mark the centre and plunge along with the ends as described. Foolproof if you always keep the fence on the inside face (or outside face)

Thanks for all the input people :D , it seems they are very quick and easy to use.
I would only be using it around my house, I'm preparing myself to have all the necessary tools for when I buy my house as I want to do all the work myself. I want high-quality solid lumber wardrobes, kitchen etc. I think if you invest in the right tools it will be far easier and they will earn their money :? , that's the theory anyway :lol: .
I'm pretty amazed that the biscuits are pre-bought unless you invest in a 'biscuit maker'. I'm wondering if it's worth the money or should I use that extra money towards a higher quality router? :roll:

Back