Iroko Clock??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this is Iroko,it was given to me by Chas.
If it is it will be the first piece i have used for years,as it used to have a bad effect on me.
But with the airshield on and the dust extraction as close as i could get it,i had no bad effects with it,toch wood :D
I'm not sure about it meself.Think i should have made it smaller,and left the very outer ring off :roll:
Another Skeleton clock which will be going off as a pressie.
Finished with sanding sealer,melamine and woodwax.

Irokoclock.jpg

ah very nice Paul, I think it is Iroko.

A while back when I was at Axminster, I saw one of those skeleton clock kits in the managers special bin. Wish I'd picked it up now, they look great.

Well done.

Nice one Paul, will hopefully be doing mine over the weekend. Can I ask what diameter blank you started with.

Steve :)

wizer":2uk11p5s said:
ah very nice Paul, I think it is Iroko.

A while back when I was at Axminster, I saw one of those skeleton clock kits in the managers special bin. Wish I'd picked it up now, they look great.

Well done.

ive just made 2 for xmas presents - you can get them from axminster, yandles , turners retreat and stiles and bates - the latter is the cheapest tho only marginally (circa 14 quid - tho you can get a discount for buying ten), they also do a 4" dia version which is cheaper.

Pretty definite it is Iroko. Lovely looking clock. I haven't tried that type yet. Try putting some stain on Iroko if you have any more, it goes antique looking, not that you need to with this, the grain shows up nicely.

pete

Quality bit of turning mate, I like how the curves look like ripples in water.
Not sure about the flat at the bottom, I see why but it loses some of its symertry (not that I can spell it :( )

Thanks for the comments :D
Steve it was a 9" x 2-1/2"" blank to start with,but you can get away with a lot smaller blank if needed,as i think this does look too big meself.
Rich/Laird, i agree about the flat bottom.Must find a better way of doing it in the future :D

Hi Paul,
Very nice clock!
I thought Iroko had more of a yellow tinge, I just turned some myself hence the observation.
Your clock looks like utile or sapele to me but Im no expert on woods.
Do like the clock though.
Regards, beejay

Thanks Bill :D
I think looking at it now it does look like Sapele,with those darker lines,whichever it is they still used to have the same effect on me.

Back