interesting use of wood chip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_S

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone see Grand Designs? Wood chips from the prefab construction was treated to be fire retardent and used as insulation in the walls, brilliant! :D

I saw that!

Them crafty germans. :lol:

Really good idea for timber frame builds. What was it; 80% of it was their own factory waste?

Brilliant idea .... as long as the fire retardant works! :shock:

Bryn.

Anyone remember Stramit?
Similar idea, but pushed a little further. Used to be all the rage when I first started out as an apprentice - made from straw and cement with a paper facing, it had excellent insulation properties both sound and heat, fire retadant and could be used for not only partition walling and skimmed over, but also as a flooring material as it was load bearing iirc.
Sod to cut though, especially when hardpoints were only just about appearing. ( remeber the S&J Black Prince?)

cheers,

Andy

RogerS":2rmrpch6 said:
Why's that, dw?

Have to confess that we both thought that he seemed totally bored with the whole thing.

Roger

If that wasn't a marriage patcher upper/ fourth child surrogate then I don't what is.

Cheers

Tim

andy king":3f87rnyo said:
Anyone remember Stramit?
Oh yes, I helped my Dad build a room on to the bungalow I grew up in and the for the roof deck we used stramit. The delivery drivers would not bring the trucks up the unmade road. We wheeled the stramit on edge on pram wheels up the road between us. That was after moving all of the celcon blocks in the builders barrow.

This dating me, it was over 40 years ago. :oops:

Is it just me or did the husband seem really ..... not botherd by the whole thing? :?

Really like the split floor level plan. That staircase was awsome too!

andy king":2ns1lrs1 said:
Anyone remember Stramit?
Similar idea, but pushed a little further. Used to be all the rage when I first started out as an apprentice - made from straw and cement with a paper facing, it had excellent insulation properties both sound and heat, fire retadant and could be used for not only partition walling and skimmed over, but also as a flooring material as it was load bearing iirc.
Sod to cut though, especially when hardpoints were only just about appearing. ( remeber the S&J Black Prince?)

cheers,

Andy
I remember that stuff well Andy, as you say a sod to cut, we did manage to get it to catch fire :shock: :D :D :D

I reckon it came in at over a million. Land was 300k and the hole was 320k, never did find out the price of the house but with all the trimmings got to be 7 figures. Did like the staircase but not so sure about the kitchen - bit to purple for my liking.

Steve.

StevieB":3drmne6y said:
I reckon it came in at over a million. Land was 300k and the hole was 320k, never did find out the price of the house but with all the trimmings got to be 7 figures. Did like the staircase but not so sure about the kitchen - bit to purple for my liking.

Steve.

Did you notice they didn't show much of the house indoors :roll: I think it was only half finished inside, if that.

Kitchen, interesting but not my taste.

I noticed she did nearly all the talking :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Latest posts

Back