Interesting films about Russia, essential viewing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to stand somewhat left of centre on these issues (wishy washy liberal?) but hey?

to change the tune, but stay with J's title --- any interesting Russian archive film on workshop practice, crafts etc? - like the old Nordic and German archive film

Societies can only function if it deals with issues rather than hoping a theory, ideology or magic formula will solve anything. "Communism" and free market fundamentalism fail in similar ways, but communism at least has a moral basis. Trussonomics does not.
"Fairness" is just for kids arguing over sweets.
Only if it has moral operators!!

Good old Maggie was a force to be reckoned with. A religious person with an aim to make the country great. She did, in a way, too. She was one of the first to realise that to gain votes she had to get more people owning their homes and less 'social' housing. Make more people want to keep their assets and build on them. There weren't many at home, of abroad, who could take her on. In the end, it took a concerted effort by her own party to get her out.
And now young people can't own and will vote Labour. Tory members are old and dying off.

Sadly though she destroyed much of the manufacturing industry and left us exposed to imports and inward investments without the balls or capacity to finance, design or build anything.

Ding dong ....comes to mind!
I don't see it like that. She saw that some industries weren't going to survive, in the long term, without massive government funding. The unions were strong and fought any changes she made which resulted in the inevitable closures. One thing she was determined about was that she wouldn't let the country be held to ransom by the unions.
She did, though, create more home owners and reduce the burden on the taxpayer at the same time. Good times.

I don't see it like that. She saw that some industries weren't going to survive, in the long term, without massive government funding. The unions were strong and fought any changes she made which resulted in the inevitable closures. One thing she was determined about was that she wouldn't let the country be held to ransom by the unions.
She did, though, create more home owners and reduce the burden on the taxpayer at the same time. Good times.
I agree the unions were there own worst enemy, creating conditions that allowed her to kill them off.

However the percentage of manufacturing Vs services dropped massively and we are now beholdened to China and turkey etc for manufactured goods.

I don't see it like that. She saw that some industries weren't going to survive, in the long term,
They are surviving still but foreign owned and in many cases foreign state run industries. Complete madness.
without massive government funding. The unions were strong and fought any changes she made which resulted in the inevitable closures.
The unions fought to keep industries going.
One thing she was determined about was that she wouldn't let the country be held to ransom by the unions.
Exactly. The unions represent the interests of working people. Thatcher was not on their side.
She did, though, create more home owners
And fewer council houses to rent. She also created more homelessness and inadequate housing. We now have a whole generation who are unlikely to get on "the housing ladder".
and reduce the burden on the taxpayer at the same time.
reducing the tax burden on the better off by reducing the quality of life for the less well off. They often call it "austerity" as though it's necessary, but only apply it to the less well off. We will be hearing more of this from the current govt.
Good times.
For some but not for all.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/07/ftse-100-executive-pay-rose-23-per-cent-4m-2022 Trussell Trust sees 81% increase in food bank usage across its network

Last edited:
it'seems the moral of get off ur
Unknown-2.jpeg
and go to work has been forgotten....
I got nothing from my parents except decent morals and the desire to get out of their rut...
My father was born a cripple.....can u still use that word....??

my wife and I have both worked 2 jobs most of our lives and often 7x7 to get where we are now......
anyone can do it.......
.our 2 girls,we could only help em out a bit but the desire to succeed.......and they have done it....

Best that we just cut the benefits except for very needy and the rest, force em to work....

should be noted.....
it's not a right to have wide screen TV's, I phones and leather sofa's whilst claiming benefits....

Unions have had their day, now if u have a bad employer vote with ur feet....
plenty of jobs out there.....

buying a house was difficult even in the good old days.....it's not a shame to want ur own castle.....

and for the commies out .....
give a hundred people £100's and within 2 weeks the money will have got to the top 25%....
It's just the way of life....

most don't look to the future they want a good time NOW.....
survival of the fitest......
of Course it was Darwins fault, because he was prob a Concervative.....hahaha.....

buying a house was difficult even in the good old days.....i
not true, compared to incomes they've effectively doubled in 50 years
UK House Price to income ratio and affordability - Economics Help
In London have tripled

t's not a shame to want ur own castle.....
Nobody said it was.
But it is a shame that people are homeless or can't afford rents and adequate housing
give a hundred people £100's and within 2 weeks the money will have got to the top 25%....
It's just the way of life....
True (ish).
And taxation is the way it is brought down again, to keep the wheels turning.
What goes around comes around.

Last edited:
I do wonder if he's worked out who is going to pay for his 60% tax take!!🤣🤣🤣
It's always the people who do the work who pay, even if the profit from their efforts is first siphoned off by others. Nothing wrong with some of it coming back instead of disappearing to Switzerland or the Cayman Islands.

not true,

I have to disagree with you there!! when My mum and dad got a house in late 1930's dad had to work 7 days a week on two jobs and after he got home at night he went out sweeping chimneys to help, as a kid if I asked for something I was told we could not afford it and had to do without, as I got older I was given an old bike and on a weekend used to do shopping for old folk down the road anything I got I gave halve to mum and the rest was mine, you never hear that today it is have as much as you can as soon as you can.

I do wonder if he's worked out who is going to pay for his 60% tax take!!🤣🤣🤣
Never been a problem in the past. Thatcher 1979, top rate was reduced from 83% to 60% and the basic rate from 33% to 30%.
Probably would have been better to keep it high as low tax doesn't produce any particular benefits other than making the wealthy even better off.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you there!! when My mum and dad got a house in late 1930's dad had to work 7 days a week on two jobs and after he got home at night he went out sweeping chimneys to help, as a kid if I asked for something I was told we could not afford it and had to do without, as I got older I was given an old bike and on a weekend used to do shopping for old folk down the road anything I got I gave halve to mum and the rest was mine, you never hear that today it is have as much as you can as soon as you can.
According to this, housing was very affordable in the 1930s.
Current level is a 120 year high.
https://www.schroders.com/en-gb/uk/...us-about-house-price-affordability-in-the-uk/My parents bought in about 1947. £900.
Apparently there was a post war scheme to regulate house prices but it might have been just local. It helped that a million new houses were built between 1945-55
We were totally skint too!

Last edited:
I tend to stand somewhat left of centre on these issues (wishy washy liberal?) but hey?

to change the tune, but stay with J's title --- any interesting Russian archive film on workshop practice, crafts etc? - likwe the old Nordic and German archive filw

to change the tune, but stay with J's title --- any interesting Russian archive film on workshop practice, crafts etc? - like the old Nordic and German archive film
War Factories on Yesterday tv and two films I enjoyed Klashnicov and T34

When working class people were given the offer to buy their homes for £5 grand, not long after along came a nice chap to offer them £8 grand they had never seen this amount of money in one fail swoop so they sold but now fewer council housing so private renting from a chap with a portfolio of properties
Same with buying shares in utilities as soon as they went up after purchasing them they sold em off they didn't reinvest profits they had a foreign holiday bought a new car, big tv . And like now Universal credits give them all thier allowances in one payment each month so they can pay thier own bills . All these things are fine if you can understand money and budgets but if your not shown how to play the capitalist game you go out and blow the lot and are left with nothing Hence higher povity levels in the nation ( But that's what I believe ) 😯 but before its replied "who needs beliefs"

Just google "Russian archive film on workshop practice, crafts"
This turned up: Search Russian Archives

I thought this was about russian films? none of you can stick to subjects very well, now you're talking about politics, universal credit, and we've got the very worst of hard left and hard right here in the same room, you're doing yourself no favours all you old men, surprised none of you have had a heart attack yet.

I thought this was about russian films? none of you can stick to subjects very well, now you're talking about politics, universal credit, and we've got the very worst of hard left and hard right here in the same room, you're doing yourself no favours all you old men, surprised none of you have had a heart attack yet.
Feel free to stick to the subject if you really want to! I'm sure nobody would mind at all.

I binge watched them over two days finishing last episode last night. I found it very interesting. I had not heard of the series but thanks for letting me know.

Back