Insulated garage door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonjeff

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone insulated an aluminium up & over door? What sort of improvement did it make?
I know it's a bit vague but I'm just trying to work out if it's worth doing as the rest of the garage is uninsulated and I don't want to insulate all of it only the door which probably has the greatest heat loss.

Jeff.

Hi,

I did my metal door with polystyrene covered with aluminium foil it works well but it needs redoing with something fireproof like Kingspan

Pete

I did much the same with normal poystyrene (1" thick) cut to fit the metal frame and glued with no nails type glue. Key is to not make the insulation so heavy that the door does not stay open - too heavy infill and it will close on your head!

There have been other threads in the past about using polystyrene and it's fire retardent (or lack of) qualities - I did a personal risk assessment, have no machines etc close to the doors (double garage) and have a fire extinguisher on the wall between the two doors. Logic being that if there was a fire anywhere in the garage when i was in it, I would head for the door and only then contemplate using an extinguisher!

My infill has been fitted for the past 4 years without any falling off. It does appear to help keep the heat in but not sure about any sound deadening -other web pages has shown the theory and cost thats needed to stop sound escaping around the edge

Back