Insulating single brick, flat roof garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I insulated my garage with Rockwool/ply for walls were given pvc soffit board for ceiling new led lights the installed a Chinese heater connected to 25ltr of kerosene. Has a remote so have in house set it on 5 mins before going into garage .it runs for 10 mins then turns off started using it about October still got half left . Definitely recommend
what have you put between the rockwool and the brickwork please

with my limited knowledge i would have been worried that damp would make the rockwool wet. anyone enlighten me
You can use Rockwool in many scenarios, if the wall is dry and there is no chance of any vapour or damp coming through the wall from behind it or below it then you can apply Rockwool direct to the wall and then apply your stud wall over, however Rockwool is vapour permeable so if the wall is damp you must install a sealed vapour barrier before installing the insulation otherwise you will end up with a damp sponge full of mould etc and a damp stud wall.

In other scenarios Rockwool is laid directly on the ground and concrete poured directly on top , it really just depends what you are trying to achieve, Rockwool will have data sheets on their website I expect and it will tell you there exactly where and when you can use it and how to apply it.

Its still a very good product both for thermal and sound although I prefer to use high density foam insulation boards when I was in construction over here simply because in Spain where I live there is no requirement for a damp course in my area but the humidity level is quite high and as its mountainous there are chances that water could permeate through the actual rock if its incorporated into your house or building structure and cause dampness.

Foam prevents that as water vapour does not pass through the insulation sheets we use here even saying that we would still use a vapor barrier because there is a risk of dampness permeating around the sides of the foam bats but if there isn't then you can still apply it direct to the substrate using either a proprietary fixing or expanding foam.

At the end of the day you need to use these materials always with the local codes or building regs in mind and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions otherwise you could run into problems later on down the line.

Hope that helps.

Back