info on cheapo nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gserghiou

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

it me again with another question about cheap nasty tools :wink:
this time i want to ask for a cheap nailer i saw on ebay

link

it says it fires 18-50 mm legth brad -finishing nails so i gues that is ok for what i want to use it for (very occasional use) . it also fires stables...

now... i understand that this is cheap and nasty, BUT if anyone used any other cheap nasty things like this, is their nailing standard acceptable, or is it COMPLETELY RUBBISH ???

also i have a small air compressor (a puny 25 liter one ) ... will it be enough to run it to drive a few nails in some pices of wood, or should i really not bother with the air version of the nailer...

Also, i found at the 'market' today some roslson air nailers for 45 Euros...any ideas on this babe :oops: ???

Thanks all,

The nasty-tool guy, :shock:

George

Hey George.

I've been using an 18-50mm JCB finishing/brad nailer for ages. I was looking at one of those silverline ones at a mates house. It would seem that it is identical in every way (bar paint job and decals) to my £30 JCB feller.

Mine can very easily fire a 50mm brad full depth into softwood (not tried it on hardwoods) with no bother. I use it all the time to strengthen a hidden glue joint or afixing small moldings for which it works very well.

I use a Wolf 50L compressor, but AFAIK, a 20L should be fine as it will just recharge once the operating pressure drops below a certain limit.

In my limited expereience of such things, theirs not a great deal to go wrong with these air nailers (prepares to be corrected :wink: ), so a cheap-n-cheerful one should be more than acceptable to an occasional user such as yourself.

HTH.

Bryn 8)

i have the silverline 50mm brad nailer, same machine but doesn't fire staples. Got it for 16quid, and it works well enough. Yes, you must oil it before use, but I have used it quite a lot and it has NEVER jammed on me. Maybe I got a good one!!?

HTH

Neil

FIRE STABLES !!! hahahaha now i see it !!!!

staples , staples , staples, staples, staples, staples, staples... there you go... ive learned the word now :wink:

ok..from what i read on the descriptions of this silverline products i can get one for around 16-18 pounds that only fires nails, and the 23 pounds one will also fire nails and staples...

so if you guys are happy with it, then surely i will be more than happy with it.

So thanks once more for your input !!

Still waiting on some info on the Rolson nailer ( it looks identical to the silverline, except the colours, sort of what Pren said) so i would think they are made by same company maybe !!! ??? then branded differently >??)

Thanks,

George

I have what is probably the same nailer/stapler, under the Cosmo brand name. It works fine for me and has never jammed (I do add a drop of oil to the air inlet each time I use it). The main drawback with combined nailer/staplers is that they leave a bigger mark in the workpiece (the size of the firing pin) than dedicated brad nailers. So far this hasn't been a problem for me but if you want to pin on mouldings etc where the nail holes will show, it could be.

George_N":1tz2bili said:
The main drawback with combined nailer/staplers is that they leave a bigger mark in the workpiece (the size of the firing pin) than dedicated brad nailers. So far this hasn't been a problem for me but if you want to pin on mouldings etc where the nail holes will show, it could be.

Hi George,

Thanks for the info...really interesting.

So i guess i will opt to go for the 5 pound cheaper nailer only version...

i don't see me needing the staple feature and id rather have a smaller mark in the wood !!!!

Thank you,

George

Apologies, apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but you do realize, don't you, that this needs an air compressor to work? It's not electric.

Yes of course you did, but just in case anyone else reading this....

S

FWIW, I have a 240V nailer, cheap enough I suppose, but I hate it. By the time I've gone round and yanked out the bent nails, set the proud ones and filled the holes left by the firing pin, I'd be quicker with a hammer.
S

hi all,

thanks for the replies and opinions and tips

i guess i should be ok when nailing wood to wood...

how do you think such nailers (cheap nailers) will perform when nailing brad nails for side skirting (laminate floor) on the wall (cement) ???

George

Are you hoping to nail through MDF into cement or plaster?Brad nails won't hold in either.Try using a construction adhesive like "No More Nails" with a temporary pin here and there.

mack9110000":1tkplzl6 said:
Are you hoping to nail through MDF into cement or plaster?Brad nails won't hold in either.Try using a construction adhesive like "No More Nails" with a temporary pin here and there.

the application that i would require it to be nailing into walls , is to put the laminate flooring in myself.

i would need to nail the skirting to the wall !!! how do you go about doing it?
just use the nails to keep the skirting in place, while the glue dries??

what kind of glue-adhesive should i be looking for ?

Thanks,

George

When one pays the minimum wage one gets minimum skills and effort, the same applies to tools,short term okay, long term it will cost you more, buy a decent brand to start with and you'll still have it 5 years later, THAT is cheaper.

Regards,

Rich.

I will put the cat amongst the pigeons now and state that my brad nailer is a cheap B&Poo one. (You must remember the ones that came with it's own compressor) I now use it on my large compressor and it has never let me down, come to think of it it has never jammed either! I have also used one of the Cosmo brad nailers and it was also good. A friend of mine has had his for at least four years without trouble. So I would say yes buy it and add a drop of oil each time it is used and you should be fine. :wink:

hi to All,

Ok...decided..

i will go for the cheapo silverline one (nailer only) ... i will be using on rare occasions (unless i get out of this construction mood im in cause the house build) ..

im also gonna buy some other tools (i asked questions previously about them) so i id rather get many cheap ones, than just a single proper expensive tool.

After all, im not an expert..im just a very amateur (woodworking prospective) guy who wants to undertake some minor simple jobs in the house. !!!

Thanks all for your help.
Really appreciated !!!

Will get back to you with more questions though on other things !!!!

George

Back