Individual Leigh jig bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a preferably UK based seller of individual dovetail bits for the Leigh jigs, last time I bought some they cam from the Leigh importers but Brimarc/Axminster now only list sets.

I want the 8mm shank ones as I have just tried a 1/4" shank one from Wealden and the chatter is way to much going through 15mm oak. Want a UK supplier so I can get them next day as I still have 18 of 26 draws to cut the tails & pins in. The ones I have done I resorted to my existing Leigh bit but its seen better days.

Jason

No they only do the small & Medium Leighs with 1/4 shanks and the very big ones with 1/2", same with Trend, Tipman, CMT etc

Jason

I stand corrected. When I bought my superjig I had a quick look around for alternative bit suppliers and failed. I'd assumed Wealden could supply an alternative. If enough people are interested we could do a group buy from the states? Tho I guess you're in a hurry?

Looking at Leigh's site (Canada) they will not supply to countries where they have distributors, could probably get one from another US outlet.

I expect I could order via my local Brimarc stockist but its the time and Brimarc have a minimum order from their outlets. If I had known the 1/4" ones were going to flex so much I would have ordered via Axminster in good time (ordered the 1/4" ones a month ago)

Thanks for the offer dan, wizer also made me a similar one but my existing 80-8 cutter will probably do the rest, I will give it a good seeing to with a diamond stone before I cut the next batch.

Jason

As Wizer says everyone sells the sets but I only want individual cutters

Jason

Jason,
I have bought several 8mm bits. They were either from Rutlands or Axminster but I'm not sure which.

Unfortunatly they only do one size with the 8mm shank and thats not the one I need for the thickness material I'm working with.

Jason

I counted 2 :lol:

L128X8MMTC

L101X8MMTC

Which cutter are you specifically looking for

Yes 2 No, bit early for me to count them

I'm after the 80-8 or L80 as trend call it, must be 8 degree taper as its for through DTs

A quick touch up on a diamond slip has helped so this cutter should see me to the end of the job. E-mailed Brimarc lastnight, stilll waiting for a reply to see if singles are available.

Jason

What about woodrat. They are HSS rather than TCT (don't want to get into the pros and cons here!) but will be a similar length to Leigh bits and most are available in a 8mm shank variant.

Best of luck.

Brimarc replied today saying that they do keep individual cutters in stock and gave me details of a retailer that would likely have them in stock. One of the problems with wanting small value items from one of the companies that Brimarc distribute is that their retailers have to make up a minimum order value.

For Future ref Handytools keep a good stock. Not used them before so will report back on what the service is like.

Jason

Jason,
This guy used to sell them and the jigs IIRC. He demonstrated them for years. I bought from him many moons ago.

From the Brimarc site:-
"Ramon Weston, a renowned and accomplished cabinet maker runs a complete Leigh training course for the enthusiast. Call Ramon Weston on 01249 750411 for price & availability
(Prices start from £100 per day)"

Latest posts

Back