Incra gauge on a Scheppach saw ? Now Done !!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinkyDinky

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired an Incra mitre 2000 gauge for use on my Schepppach TS2500 saw.

I am aware that the slots on the aluminium table are not 3/4" and am just wondering if anyone has adapted one of these Incra gauges to fit the Sheppach slot, and if it has been successful?

I do have access to engineering facilities so could get a new T bar attachment for the Incra made or any other bits as necessary, but what about the expansion rings that apply resistance to the slot, what could i use in their place, can it be made to work?

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in anticipation! :lol:

The expansion rings are only there to take up any slop between the bar and the slot. If you could have a bar machined to be a snug fit, the expansion rings are unnecessary.

Or could you adapt the bar from the Scheppach mitre guage?

I have considered adapting the old mitre gauge as i do not use it, but it is a little sloppy in the slot. even when the slot is adjusted tightly, it drags rather than guides accurately, it seems to go from sloppy to tight with no in between adjustment!

Just wondered if anyone had tried any of the suggestions and if i could learn from what others have achieved.

I'm sure someone mentioned routing out the aluminum slot to fit a standard guage.

Adam

I'd do that if i knew it had been done successfully, i have searched this forum to look for this sort of solution but to no avail.

Hopefully someone will be on soon who can remember who did this, or know an alternative solution.

RinkyDinky, I'd be interested to see how this turns out as I've thought about getting a good mitre guide for a while now, but never knew what to do about the size of the slot.

SimonA

RinkyDinky":1gvcmzv2 said:
I'd do that if i knew it had been done successfully, i have searched this forum to look for this sort of solution but to no avail.

Hopefully someone will be on soon who can remember who did this, or know an alternative solution.

I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere where it was mentioned, nor indeed if it was an idea, or it had acutally been done. Sorry i can't help further.

Adam

I had a similar problem, only in my case the mitre slot is a fair bit wider than the mitre bar

The slots on my TS are 20mm but the standard bars on mitre guages are 3/4" or 19mm. I wanted a better mitre but found that the adjustment on most was minimal and not able to take up the 1mm gap. But, eventually I found the Kreg which worked fine. This has 5 (it may be 3) nylon screwthread pieces of studding that run across the mitre bar that can be adjusted to fit the slot exactly. These slide well.

I then experimented on an old sloppy mitre guage that I used on my router table - drilled holes across the bar and then used my cheap Axminster tap and die set to cut a thread. Cut my own bits of nylon studding and experimented. It now allows me to adjust this guage to fit both the 19 and 20 mm slot simply and it seems to run smoothly.

In your situation I would be a bit retiscent about routing the slot(s) on the TS - I'd try to get a narrower mitre bar made and then make my own adjusters.

If you're interested I could get some pictures of what I've done, just let me know.

I've also got a Delta tenoning jig that has the same type of adjusters except that the studding is metal rather than nylon - this does not slide as sweetly as the the ones with the nylon adjusters.

Misterfish

I posted a while ago that I had machined out the miter slots on my TS2010 for an Incra 1000SE gauge.

The results were acceptable but not great. I believe that when the ally was machined the cuts were too aggressive and the pieces were not sufficiently clamped. The result is that the each face of the slot is very slightly curved, I cant measure it but I can feel it as I pass the gauge along the slot. I have not noticed any affect on the accuracy of the cut. So it's no more than irritating.

I don't have too much time at the moment, just popped up stairs between jobs , if you have any more questions let me know.

Cheers,
John.

Took the plunge today and went ahead with the Incra 2000 installation on the TS2500 aluminium table.

The sliding bar on the gauge was reduced in depth to fit the slot in the saw, it needed to be 7.6mm, originally being 9.5mm. This was the only mod necessary on the gauge.

This was done on a vertical miller by a friend, whom i repaid with a case of Stella... :lol:

The two lips on the aluminium table now needed to be removed.

I removed one side of the table piece and set the router table to cut off the lip of aluminium in 3 passes. I uses a standard wood router bit, didn't know if this would work but it sailed through effortlessly with no damage to the cutter.

The last little bit was just sanded down and smoothed square.

Next was the other aluminium lip, this time, i left that attached to the table and set up a parallel guide, using the router to remove the lip and sanding as before.

There were two peg holes that needed to be elongated on the table to allow the adjustment of around 3/4" width, this was done with a Dremel.

The 3/4 slot now looks perfect and when the gauge is fitted, slides without effort, slop and with minimal resistance.
Really glad i did it now as the Incra is so much better than the standard sloppy gauge!

Hope this lot hasn't been too boring, and maybe has helped someone decide to do it or considering the job in the future.

Back