importing planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pam niedermayer":2gijyc0a said:
tnimble":2gijyc0a said:
If we had prefered to export we would not had any history. Everything exported had to be imported first to the Republic of the Seven United Neterlands and we imported way more than we exported.

Like tulips and bubbles?

Pam

:D Three canal houses traded for one imported tulip bulb :shock:

There are ways arround this.

Since this is an international forum (the membership is from everywhere) get someone over here to by tools, use them to make a shaving or two then send them to you at a price that rewards the efforts and time of the origional purchaser and also covers shipping. :wink: No tax because it is used so the seller gets to play with some toys for a day and makes a bit of money and after it is all said-and-done our friends in the UK get a tool at much less the price than new there and/or without the gamble of evading tax.

Just a thought.

Sparky

sparky":emlvhj6g said:
There are ways arround this.

Since this is an international forum (the membership is from everywhere) get someone over here to by tools, use them to make a shaving or two then send them to you at a price that rewards the efforts and time of the origional purchaser and also covers shipping. :wink: No tax because it is used so the seller gets to play with some toys for a day and makes a bit of money and after it is all said-and-done our friends in the UK get a tool at much less the price than new there and/or without the gamble of evading tax.

Just a thought.

Sparky

You still have to pay import duty. I bought a used guitar from the states a couple of years ago and had this issue. You pay duty on the value of the item which is usually written down in full display on the delivery docket as the sender has to have adequate insurance in case of damage or loss, so either way the vampires we'll get you in the end.

As for import duty and VAT, I wonder about how a trade of tools would be treated, for example, say if someone in the US/Canada had a spiffy LN #4 1/2 bench plane and wished to trade it for a few chisels and a plough plane, would that trigger the taxman's bite out of the transaction?

Just wondering, Rich in New Jersey

PS: yes, Garrett Wade is the sole tool shop in NY City, seems a shame. In New Jersey we have none either, I go to a Woodcraft store in Allentown Pennsylvania for new items or order from Rob Lee at Veritas. The one advantage is there are several productive flea markets for old tools in New Jersey (I think y'all call them "boot sales" but you know what I mean) and estate sales, garage sales and the like can produce some truly servicable tools.

I guess you would be hit twice. Once for the receiving the LN and once for the other to receive the chisels and plough plane.

Admiral":1shm70wm said:
yes, Garrett Wade is the sole tool shop in NY City, seems a shame. In New Jersey we have none either, I go to a Woodcraft store in Allentown Pennsylvania for new items or order from Rob Lee at Veritas.

Garrett Wade is no longer physically located in NY city -- but Tools for Working Wood (Joel M) is still in good old New York (Brooklyn, to be more exact -- but Brooklyn is part of NY City, even if the burough president would like to secede!). Joel is a very nice guy, and he reads this forum -- maybe he'd pop into this thread. He also sells Clifton planes.
-Andy

Admiral":3b9ncurd said:
As for import duty and VAT, I wonder about how a trade of tools would be treated, for example, say if someone in the US/Canada had a spiffy LN #4 1/2 bench plane and wished to trade it for a few chisels and a plough plane, would that trigger the taxman's bite out of the transaction?

Reciprocal gifts?

Cheers Mike

Tools for Working Wood (Joel M) sells a lot of European stuff - not much point for a Brit to buy a Clifton in NYC to carry back home?
As I said before he does not stock LV or LN stuff?
:(

Rod

Loz_S":45de2gr8 said:
Why do so many Brits seem not to care about supporting their own industry just to save a few pounds by (illegally) not declaring import taxes ???

So, in answer to your question; no, it's not worth importing from the US!

Rant over.

Hello Dordrecht, VOC, near Rotterdam :p
www.Myus.com is my friend to declare. (door to door 3 days) It's your economical duty to buy from the USA because there is a disequilibrium according the $ vs € . :idea:

And where are the dutch pensionfunds with "our" money? In de US!!!

Paying less taxes doesn't have to be illegal.
What's illegal: buying Wenzloff saws in de US and delivered by TNT/USPS, a package that's within 3 days in Amsterdam and they keep it for 6 weeks, because they are allowed to collect the taxes and their fee of course.

Producers like LV and LN have a strong missions, don't forget that.
(Thebestthings, Toolsforwoodworking too)

best wishes from bureaucratic EU (NL, GB, FR, Germany etc.)

kees

I would be a tad nervous buying anything outside UK, as I could not stand the hassle if it had to be returned, or a claim made under warranty.

newt":38tqxyzi said:
I would be a tad nervous buying anything outside UK, as I could not stand the hassle if it had to be returned, or a claim made under warranty.

I've never had any such problems buying outside the US. Of course, I buy untailed tools, mostly used from the UK, new from Germany, Canada and Australia, mixed used and new from Japan. So there would be no problems with electro-mechanical devices.

Pam

Back