importing planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me once and for all if it is worth importing one or a few quality hand planes from the USA?

Once and for all. we can give you a definite maybe... perhaps :)

It depends on whether you'll get caught for import duty, VAT, and a handling charge. Those, together with the cost of delivery, can wipe out most - if not all - of your savings.

But the odds are probably in your favour, and with the exchange rate the way it is, there's never been a better time.

However, it's worth checking all of your prices. I was putting together a shopping basket with Lee Valley last week but after comparing prices at Axminster and a few other UK retailers, I ended up buying several items here since the transAtlantic savings were tiny (allowing for delivery but ignoring the risk of duty, VAT etc).

There's no rhyme or reason that I can see - some things are ludicrously expensive here, and some are downright reasonable.

Pete

Last time I looked into it, could I have justified three bench planes, I could have taken a long weekend in NY to pick them up for the same price (gift allowance taken into account). Unfortunately, I only 'needed' one.
Cheers
Steve

dunbarhamlin":3isnpn27 said:
I could have taken a long weekend in NY to pick them up for the same price

Unfortunately, New York doesn't work for our purposes (I was just there ten days ago) - there are no toolshops :cry:

Pete

Now that's just plain wrong!
Perhaps we should all write to Mayor Bloomberg and tell him his city's missing out on tool tourism.
:lol:

There is one "Tools for working wood" but they have moved out to Brooklyn and do not seem to stock LV or LN stuff?
Garret Wade only have an office there now.

I was contemplating getting some stuff posted to my hotel but we are only there for a few days so not much leeway for postal drops.
It would have been nice to buy something over the counter?

I also thought about buying a new camera - I saved lots a few years ago - but there is very little difference from UK prices on the model I want this time?

Rod

Harbo":1lpmuvhl said:
There is one "Tools for working wood" but they have moved out to Brooklyn and do not seem to stock LV or LN stuff?
Garret Wade only have an office there now.

I was contemplating getting some stuff posted to my hotel but we are only there for a few days so not much leeway for postal drops.

That what hotel staff (and a tip) are for.

Get it dropped and held for you, if that's what you want.

BugBear

No decent tool shop in New York? :shock: So nothing has changed than since the Dutch turned over the City of New Orange to the britts in 1674 who renamed it the City of New York.

In a more general vein, why would you want to buy from the US when you can buy tools of the same quality (but without the hype) from Britain? I just don't get it. If there was a local manufacturer of quality tools here in Holland I know which one I would support...

I bought my planes from Clifton. a: because they are fantastic quality and b: because they are made in Europe. If they had been made in Holland then it would have ticked all of my boxes.

Why do so many Brits seem not to care about supporting their own industry just to save a few pounds by (illegally) not declaring import taxes ???

So, in answer to your question; no, it's not worth importing from the US!

Rant over.

Now, now, Loz, are you really trying to start a trade war? Do you really think it will be fun when we retaliate? :)

Pam

Provided the product is of good quality, I do buy British.
Provided the price difference is small and the delivery time similar, I do try to avoid the carbon footprint of reimporting British/European goods from afar.

But I will not buy a second rate product just because it is British, nor will I pay above the going rate nor wait patiently for slow delivery and accept poor customer service just because I am British.

The treasury will most likely get the proceeds of my estate when I snuff it, but until such time I would rather give the tax vermin as little as I legally can. So if given a gift allowance on re-entry to the EU, or if goods below a certain value are not VATed, of course I will make use of this.

pam niedermayer":1ffcz6ii said:
Now, now, Loz, are you really trying to start a trade war? Do you really think it will be fun when we retaliate? :)

Pam

No, no. I'm not trying to start a war! If a company obviously makes a better product then by all means buy it. However, if equivalent products are of the same quality, then buy locally and support your own economy, just as Americans advocate with their "proudly made in the US" stickers. From my POV the US seems far more capable at promoting/advertising products than the EU but that doesn't make them any better.

Also, you may have been sarcastic with your last comment but that merely underlines in my mind why I would prefer to buy locally.

I agree with dunbarhamlin and always try to buy British if it is the better product.

But I do not think there is anything wrong, if the opportunity arises, to buying stuff in the USA especially if no UK man. makes it!
The plane I was interested in is a LN No. 9 - $332 (£160) in the States - £262 over here! That's a £100 saving!

Rod

In short. No. The savings are minimal when you add VAT and Import Duty, and try and find the item if it goes missing - can be a real nightmare.

i don't think it is worth the bother especially as given the nature of my business I should be able to hide the vat somewhere :twisted:

tnimble":11vxymje said:
No decent tool shop in New York? :shock: So nothing has changed than since the Dutch turned over the City of New Orange to the britts in 1674 who renamed it the City of New York.

So why does it get called "The Big Apple"?

Loz_S":3tqnpzdy said:
Also, you may have been sarcastic with your last comment but that merely underlines in my mind why I would prefer to buy locally.

No, not sarcastic, but I did intend to be funny. Geesh, you're from Holland! One of the great trading nations in history. But I guess you Dutch prefer to be the exporters?

Pam, who has no financial interest in any toolmakers and who uses mostly Japanese, Australian, German and British tools, with a few North American planes thrown in here and there

George_N":1ghy0pfz said:
tnimble":1ghy0pfz said:

So why does it get called "The Big Apple"?

The Big Apple nickname comes from the 1971 I♥NY campaign to promote the city. The Apple depicted in this campaign refers to the 1930 Manhattan jazz scene and the horse racing centralized in the City of New York.

pam niedermayer":31g0kpqr said:
No, not sarcastic, but I did intend to be funny. Geesh, you're from Holland! One of the great trading nations in history. But I guess you Dutch prefer to be the exporters?
If we had prefered to export we would not had any history. Everything exported had to be imported first to the Republic of the Seven United Neterlands and we imported way more than we exported.

tnimble":sh0mshp6 said:
If we had prefered to export we would not had any history. Everything exported had to be imported first to the Republic of the Seven United Neterlands and we imported way more than we exported.

Like tulips and bubbles?

Pam

Latest posts

Back