Importance of record keeping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to sound arrogant, but isn't this obvious? of course you would keep all documents.
Well as the original poster, my example was for a very poor sketch that had been redrawn and approved, now if I hadn't kept the original fag packet sketch and just kept the working drawings I could have been in trouble.

Well as the original poster, my example was for a very poor sketch that had been redrawn and approved, now if I hadn't kept the original fag packet sketch and just kept the working drawings I could have been in trouble.

Sure, I would most certainly keep all documents, including a copy of the fag packet drawing.

Lets say you hadn't kept a copy. If they've signed off on the new drawings, surely thats all the evidence you need?

When people want to be difficult - usually because they have made an error or changed their minds, they can be very sneaky. My business (now sold) was in financial services. We did not give advice at all, but we provided access to markets (mainly institutional but some retail). It was routine and common for people to claim that we had made a mistake of price, quantity, timing, buy v sell, wrong stock, etc etc. Almost invariably nonsense.

It's regulated anyway, but we never did anything without it being voice recorded (recordings kept indefinitely), in writing, confirmed, followed up with contract note, governed contractually and so on. Yet some people would still claim black was white. Hearing their own voice played back to them on an email of a recording was usually enough to stop further argument. Anyone who thinks people behave honourably nowadays is more generous than me.

Sure, I would most certainly keep all documents, including a copy of the fag packet drawing.

Lets say you hadn't kept a copy. If they've signed off on the new drawings, surely thats all the evidence you need?
Yes you are absolutely right, however I think we would have fallen out as he was convinced I'd transposed measurements incorrectly, but was OK once he realised it was his fault, so it was all amicable. Unlike the potential of limbo land.

Back