Im moving workshop + workshop space for rent in nottingham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Time has come for me to skip from my 35m2 workshop to a bigger 110m2 workshop with a 8-10m ceiling height. Looking forwards to it.

The current shop im in I have a guy that rents usage of the machines etc which is going to follow me. Now I have all the new space there maybe room for maybe 2 more if anyone needs a day here and there in a workshop or something more permanent.

£30 a day, no set times or amount of days. You come in, use the space and machines, pay your money and thats it.

Usual array of machines. Big Table saw with sliding table, P/T, Radial arm cross cut with 5meters of tables, bandsaw, router table, morticer, disc sander, lathe etc.

Small metal working/welding area going in and a 6m2 spray booth being installed which will also include a powder spray system.

Ill post up pics when im in and setting up.

Great idea, but I'm too far away. Have you looked into the legal implications? what happens when some tit lops his hand off? does your insurance cover idiots, or are you going to watch them all day? Sorry to put a downer on a good idea, but you might land yourself in the ordure.

I have been renting use of my current workshop facilities for over a year but to the same guy who is a pro also. I have insurance and so must anyone wishing to use it. For sake of my machines I wouldn't let anyone that's not competent use them either.

Thanks.

I can see where this might be leading, wavers, risk assessments, method statements, policies, procedures,and certificates of testing and inspection. Unfortunatly, we live in a world where people want a quick buck or two.

I think I understand what Phil was indicating. As a workshop owner (i.e. you rent it and then sub rent workbench space on an adhoc basis and let other use your power tools, should there be an accident or incident to someone other than yourself in using them, the first thing a solicitor is going to ask is for all the above documentation as a minimum. In otherwrods if you hire out your machines (directly or indirectly) you have a duty of care as laid out in the Helath and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, risk assessmetns as laid out under the Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999, Health and Safety (Welfare) Regulations 1998, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Requalations 1989 and a host of other requlations. But I am sure that as a long established organisation you have this already. In the eyes of officialdom and the Health and Safety Exceutive it would not be accepted if one where to say the are only renting bench space on an ad hoc basis and therfore it is'nt relevant here.

But hay ho each to their own and what do I know :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: #-o

PAT testing done by mates father company, risk assessment done by a mate (although will need doing again as its a new place) Heath and safely followed. Im a first aider blar blar.

Its to say that I have, as far as I can see, all bases covered so no need to go down this legal road.

Ill post ups up etc while setting out.

Latest posts

Back