I'm looking for......some pictures of carved saw handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests........I am looking at doing a handsaw most likely a dovetail or tenon sized..I want to do it in ebony with some fake ivory accents and brass and i am looking for some ideas and pictures.
The handle i want to do will be heavily carved as i am heading back down to my carving teacher shortley and this is a project i want to do.
I have seen Wayne Andersons swan saw and i have done a couple similar but using dragons but this time i want to do the handle and once done it must say ooooh pick me up.
I am sure their must be some people here with some pictures of carved saw handles.
The saw will have a LN or Pax blade but will not be a user as i imagine it will be too delicate with the carvings.

any carvings of saw handles or something that could be used as such would be very welcome

Ian

Hi Ian

Theres a few carved saw handles that show up here on Google images - if thats any help, although they all look fairly similar.

Theres also some Dragon Handles here but not on saws - if you keep poking through Google Images you might find something you can adapt.

Richard

Hi Ian,

My feeling is that other than something like the Panther saw, few makers got artistic. Google might be about the only way to find some examples. And I would think middle Eastern, north African and perhaps SE Asia and India would provide the best source of historic examples.

But I think you have an artistic sense of vision and the ability to carry it out. If I was going to go for an ornate carving, I would be tempted to first decide what the theme or subject I would desire, and mess around with a drawing pad and do many, many sketches until I discovered one which flowed organically.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Take care, Mike

Ian,

I think you may also find inspiration from walking sticks and pistol grips since these only need relatively small changes and alignment adjustments to make them work as saw handles.

waterhead37":1cc87o9j said:
Thanks Mike - I get these flashes about once a year so that was probably it for 2006!

I hope not Chris...
thanks for that ...

..cheers Mike and Richard

food for thought

Ian

Back