Ill Health need to retrain, Furniture Restoration Worcester

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunggaur

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

i have been unable to work for the last 5 years due to ill health and have now been told i can never work full time again or return my previous role.

as a result i need to look to retrain in a new career,

Ideally i would like to retrain long term to become a furniture restorer as i have undertaken woodworking and furniture making for many years.

My question is does anyone know of any course in worcestershire or anywhere i could work on an unpaid basis for a couple of days per week to get the skills needed to support my long term future

any advice, guidance or support would be welcomed

kind regards

jon

Jon

I did a four week course with Chris Arnold about 6 years ago and found it a very worthwhile four weeks. He has, at most, 3 students and will cover all that you need to know to get you started. I have on occasions been stuck on a particular aspect of restoration and a quick 'phone call to him has put me on the right track.

Hope you find this useful
John

there's a french polisher in Pershore that may be worth contacting as I believe he/they do resto work. They may be able to guide you in the right direction or may even have a position available.

I'll ask around at work tomorrow as well and see if anyone else has any suggestions

many many thanks Tim and suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers JWF will look in more depth in to Chris Arnold

kind regards

jon

I did a one week course with Chris last year (but learning basic cabinet making skills rather than restoration). He's a nice chap and I learnt a lot from him. While I was there he had one other student who mostly worked in the finishing shed. I imagine he would be happy with you popping along and talking to him about your future career but I'm not sure he would take you on for free.

One thing I will say though is that I doubt very much that there is a lot of money to be made doing furniture restoration. I'm pretty sure the bulk of the money Chris makes is from his students.

Cheers wobblycogs

i know there is not a great deal of money in it but as long as i be in a position of not being any worse off working than claiming benefits that is all i am looking for. i will do more research about chris

once again

kind regards

jon

Latest posts

Back