IKEA kitchens service void

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Max Power":igh51rkc said:
shed9":igh51rkc said:
Max Power":igh51rkc said:
IKEA the Ratners of the kitchen trade

How is that a relevant analogy? Did I miss something in regards to Ikea's business strategy?

The relevance is they're both cr*p , but of course IKEA arnt foolish enough to publicly admit it :shock:

Do you have experience of IKEA kitchens Max? I only ask as the overall experience of most people I've spoken to, inducing those on here seem to be positive.

davin":297f711w said:
Well that's another good thing about Ikea, their returns policy is great, never had any issues. Unlike B and Q who's kitchen designers (!) try and sell you loads of bits you don't need/

I bought some Aluminium handles to fit to a wardrobe that was bought by my parents in the late 40s (It's “utility”, if anybody can remember what that means!).

The instructions indicated that one should drill 5mm holes and I was horrified to find that the machine screws provided were M4 so the handles fitted badly.

I wrote to IKEA and, after discussion, they offered to replace the entire wardrobe. Since it would be impossible to get anything nowadays of the same quality (certainly NOT from Ikea!) I told them that I would make do with M4 screws and penny washers. But the customer service was exemplary.

I hope they have now changed the instructions!

MC

Ikea kitchens are excellent, with regards to the void, if you do what I did, run lengths of 2 x 2 Level around the perimeter of where the units are going. With the top edge of the 2 x 2 being level with the top edge of the carcases - makes it very easy to level up the carcases then.

Then make your only worktop using a chipboard door blank, and laminate of your choice.

Very effective, easy to do and gives you more work surface.

Jacob's was the first IKEA kitchen I'd fitted & overall I was quite impressed with it, the range is a little limited in the widths of cupboards available but on the whole they are well thought out.

That said I'm not overly impressed with their kitchen planners, perhaps if you want to come out of retirement Jacob you could give them some pointers as yours went together fine, unfortunately I can't say the same of the one I started this week.

The 2 asterisked measurements in the photo add up to 2060mm distance from wall to back door, the planner decided that some how a 880 corner unit, 600 cooker & 600 cupboard would fit in,they've even put a plant on end panel on the end of this run which means the total overhang of the would be nearly 40mm

image_zpsifmmibk0.jpeg

If you look carefully you can see the plan even shows a slight overhang ](*,) ](*,)

for my sins I was an IKEA worker in my decent history, planned a few kitchens and never had any complaints, not that it really makes any difference now.
they have changed the stuff the sell (about 2 years ago now) and I haven't fitted one of the new ones yet, I believe they have used the same manufacturer (insider knowledge) and the quality is still the same as the old units which is good. the facings are a bit thin at times and I've chipped a few carcass panels before now (normally out of site though) so be careful and build them on the box if you can, this stands with howdens units too though (and wickes and B&Q too)
the lack of service void isn't a major issue if you can move your pipework, all mine is below the cabinet height now. a few minutes with a jigsaw around sockets is a good trick too.

as for them not delivering everything, I wouldn't know, I've always gone to store and picked it all up, once in a renault clio, which was fun, never had a pack with parts missing and I've fitted 10 or so of them over the years.

Didn't think my first post would be about Ikea....

When we moved house about 16 years ago, we decided to 'splash out' on an Ikea kitchen (we were poor, we thought Ikea was upmarket). It was a bit risky as we did not know anyone who had one. We did the floor (laminate), tiling (fancy handmade things), and all the base units, cupboards and plumbing, lighting ourselves. The fancy sink unit, tap, oven and hob did not come from Ikea, but the fridge did (it is a Whirlpool really).

To answer the OP question, I was able to run the washing machine and dishwasher feeds at the back of the cupboards, and there was a void big enough behind a stacked drawer unit. I ran all the wastes under the cupboards (in the kick space) and never had a problem. The sink traps and waste hung down in the sink cupboard, I think that is normal.

The point is that kitchen is still in use, and we still get compliments on how modern and smart it looks - because it does. All the fancy corner cupboard and larder pullouts, and the waste sorting bins all work as well as they did 15 years before. One of the cupboard doors delaminated slightly after about 14 years in service (it's right next to the oven), we went to Ikea and bought an identical one to replace it, no problem - it matched perfectly. I was amazed they still stocked the design.

The reason I bothered to change the door was we recently decided to buy a new house (I needed more workshop space) and rent out our old one, and I thought a new door would be in order. I mention this because the rental agent thought the whole kitchen was new (I admit we had paid for a professional deep clean!).

If there is one thing I would never ever do again is lay a laminate floor in a kitchen - it's a really bad idea!

In our new house, an Ikea kitchen will be fitted in our utility area, I hope it lasts as long!

Simon C
~~~~~~

Woodmonkey":3n2dk8fw said:
Simon - we were thinking about laminate, why not?
I'd be interested in the answer too - we've had the same laminate flooring in our kitchen (IKEA, as it happens) for about 16 years without any issues at all, and I've fitted a few in customers' kitchens over the years as well, no problems.

Cheers, Pete

Why is laminate a bad idea in a kitchen...?

1) Our washing machine had a big leak, and an upstairs shower tray too, both depositing a substantial amount of water that found its way under the kitchen laminate. It dried out by emerging from every joint in the laminate and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. It left each joint slightly puffed up, ruining the look and get slightly worse with every clean. I know the answer is to ensure water never gets underneath, but the risks are harder to control in a kitchen. You may be able to get water resistant laminate now, but I would still be wary.

2) I dropped a 2-ton trolley jack in the middle of the floor and it punched a hole the size of a 50 pence piece in the middle of a board. Because the laminate floor is tongue and groove all round it was impossible to fix without removing at least half the floor and remains there to this day. I know this is not normal use for a kitchen, but who's normal?

Ps the whole of the ground floor of that house was laminate, no problems at all in 16 years.

Pps the whole of the ground floor in my new house is real wood or ceramic, I had not thought about that until just now. It's the real wood that made me buy a nice saw, which brought me here....

Get an IKEA Family card. If you mess up during assembly, fitting or even transporting home.... the family card offers free insurance and you can simply take the whole thing or just a single part back and start again. Not sure if this applies to actually fitting kitchens out, but certainly applies to everything else in their store.

Back