Identifing trees by leaves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
Having spent the last two lunch breaks sat in Ruskin park in south London on me own I've had time to think. Surrounded by huge trees I started trying to think about what they all were.

Having been a cub and a scout I was probably taught all of this stuff many moons ago but I'm ashamed to say that I sat there today and could only positively ID a few.

So I googled for a decent site with pix of leaves and I'm struggling to find one.

Anyone got one?

Thanks Jenx but that sites a little hard work :D There must be a page somewhere with a simple pic and name.

I'll find one!!

The Tree Org.has some useful info. if you care to dig arround, currently undergoing re-construction due to earlier hacking and illness of originator.

I had links to common English species and their Bark from that site but they will all have to be re-referenced when the site is fully re-instated.

CHJ":16hq4rk3 said:
The Tree Org.has some useful info. if you care to dig arround, currently undergoing re-construction due to earlier hacking and illness of originator.

I had links to common English species and their Bark from that site but they will all have to be re-referenced when the site is fully re-instated.

Thanks for that Bark page, that's very good.

Bofh":2zwfu7n7 said:
Having spent the last two lunch breaks sat in Ruskin park in south London on me own I've had time to think. Surrounded by huge trees I started trying to think about what they all were.

Having been a cub and a scout I was probably taught all of this stuff many moons ago but I'm ashamed to say that I sat there today and could only positively ID a few.

So I googled for a decent site with pix of leaves and I'm struggling to find one.

Anyone got one?
It's not just the leaves. Knowing the botanical nature of the twig and leaf structure as well as the microscope examination of an end grain sample is the only way to identify timber accurately...mind you, you need to be an expert to do it - Rob

This is a basic site, some pictures are missing.

http://www.toof.org.uk/identify/

I did all my tre ident at college and in the world of work. I do know that your local Wildlife trust will be more than likely running some courses, although i think its a bit late in the season for a tree ident course.

They might run a winter ID course, contact your local office and see what courses they are running.

Back