Ideas needed for round wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob C

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site and would like to ask if anyone has any ideas to help me with my latest project. I have been asked to make some Cat Scratching Posts for a local charity, I am stuck on what to use for the post, the diameter is not really too critical, I just need to get some round solid lengths of wood. I could buy banister rail if I have to but I have already spent £50 on the Sisal rope to wrap on it. Any help on this at all would be great, I usually come up with some crazy solution but this has me Scratching my head!

Get some 4 x 4, which is commonly available and cheap, I would plane the corners off and then fix the sisal rope. I have made a few cat scratching post and this worked a treat for me.

Whatever you do, don't follow the commercial versions and use cardboard postal tube with a disk of MDF stuck in the bottom :( . Lost count of the number of times our neighbour's one needed repair after she had knocked it over by accident.
But based on that experience, whatever wood you use, it might be worth putting a dowel through the post at right angles for the screw securing the base to bite into.

Be careful with fencing posts because they are often preservative treated (Tanalised) with solutions containing such pleasant chemicals as Copper, Chrome and Arsenic. I think untreated timber would be safer for the moggies - and your reputation.

If you just want some round posts, could you find a local turner who would knock them up for you? If the size is not critical (and presumably also the finish since they will be sisal wrapped) then it would be a trivial job. Considering it's for a charity I wouldn't be surprised if someone would bash them out for a nominal fee (or even free of charge) provided of course you supply the timber. (I can't offer because I'm in West Wales, but if we were close then I'd happily do it for you).

Whichever route you go though, I would avoid treated timber, unless there are new treatments which are guaranteed safe to handle.

K

Thanks for all the tips, I can use a few of these ideas, it will look good with different diameters/sizes. I will certainly not use treated timber, I couldn't be sure what it would do to the cats. I have found some untreated 4x4 and my neighbour will run them on his lathe for me. I am really chuffed to bits with the replies, its great being able to ask like minded people for a hand. I do have loads of power and hand tools, and if anyone lives near me in Lincoln I have no issues in lending anything I have. I'm not sure how you would contact me, but I'm sure you will know better than me the rules of this site.

Thanks again

Rob

Rob C":190n9q6u said:
Thanks for all the tips, I can use a few of these ideas, it will look good with different diameters/sizes. I will certainly not use treated timber, I couldn't be sure what it would do to the cats. I have found some untreated 4x4 and my neighbour will run them on his lathe for me. I am really chuffed to bits with the replies, its great being able to ask like minded people for a hand. I do have loads of power and hand tools, and if anyone lives near me in Lincoln I have no issues in lending anything I have. I'm not sure how you would contact me, but I'm sure you will know better than me the rules of this site.

Thanks again

Rob

Rob, glad your query was answered, I am a great believer in finding a forum for an answer to queries on any subject. Re lending your tools :shock:

Oh, just read your original post and see you had already considered ...

How about a banister / handrail?

Depending on the type of wood I guess.

Hmm. Possibly too expensive as well. :oops:

3.6m for £45?

Might sound daft but if you have a cheap shop ie B&M or similar you could buy solid wood rolling pins,cut the handles off and wrap with rope then attach to base, depending on how high they need to be but I think they are only £2-£3 each and already round.
M

If you are only going to wrap it in rope , why not cheap downpipe ( guttering ) , very cheap for a bundle from the likes of toolstation etc , around 70mm diameter of the top of my head !!

Cheers

Back