ideas for my first project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
almost finished work on my back garden just finishing patio area, so i am looking for some advice or a design on building a 2 - 3 seater bench maybe something with mortice and tenon joints in but nothing to complex only practiced a couple m/t joints.
any advice or ideas greatly appreciated
shaun

Shaun - here's a garden seat I made in Iroko about 20 years ago. SWMBO just gives it a scrub once a year and paints some teak oil on it, although as you can see, not this year yet!!

Seat2.jpg

Simple M/T joints into legs and back, and mortices for the slats in the back were just cut with a hand held router. The depth of the cut was much deeper at the top so that each slat could be pushed in far enough so that the bottom could be swung in to place and then dropped into the bottom slot.

Seat3.jpg

Tools used were a very basic 8" table saw, hand held router, then a small assortment of hand saws, screwdriver, hand plane etc.

upendedseat.jpg

A satisfying and not very difficult project, and we've had over 20 years use from it, and aim to have many more.

HTH

Very nice bench roger, it makes a change to see a project that's not brand new.
applause.gif

thankyou for making the effort to take and post the pics bench looks just like what i want to do may take a while as i dont get much time in the workshop but i will post wip pics as soon as i start thanks again.
:D
shaun

Looks inviting to sit upon and ponder the day, Roger.

I've printed it off and may well make one for our backyard in the future. Very nice.

Take care, Mike

Back