I managed another turn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I managed to do another small turning. Again though, nothing spectacular - just a pen.
The blank came from a mixed bag I got at Brodies near Dunkeld. There were around 20 blanks in the bag of various species. So far I have identified zebrano, purpleheart, and elm. (because those were labelled)
I have no idea what this particular species is however. It is a brown roughly the colour of aged oak, with a streak of red the colour of dried blood.
DSCN0090_zpszkbs3cnn.jpg

The knot insert is spalted beech, but the spalting hardly shows in the finished item.
The finish had to be done in very thin CA, because I had run out of the medium-thick stuff I normally use.
All done with a 1" skew chisel.
DSCN0092_zpsbkrycn3x.jpg

Not a great photo either unfortunately because it was done in the shed on my new point & shoot, which I haven't gotten the hang of yet. If the happy recipient happens by the house with it any time soon, I'll try to get a clearer one.
Small steps though. Just turning this had me out of the shed for 2 days

Looks good from what I can see. When I photograph my pens I do it on a plain piece of white paper. and take 5 or 6 pictures on different settings making a note for the next time. Then I use Picasa just to edit it slightly so that it looks very close to what the pen does in the hand. You can see how mine came out in my latest post HERE no light tent or extra lights just natural light.

The photo's may not be perfect but it helps show the pen or whatever you have photographed

Cheers folks. I'm getting back slowly, but one day in the shed seems to wipe me out for three days. I picked up a bargain chop saw last week, so I am now able to cut nice crisp angles. I think I might have a bash at segmented work at some point.

I would never have believed a non-break injury would cause so much pain and take so long to heal.

Tom,
No doubt you are now well into the elastic strips on a pulley stage. Mine was set up in the garage roof so I had to walk past it to get into the workshop and therefore less of an excuse not to use it. Hope it's coming along fine.

Dave

Tazmaniandevil":1v4g115q said:
Cheers folks. I'm getting back slowly, but one day in the shed seems to wipe me out for three days. I picked up a bargain chop saw last week, so I am now able to cut nice crisp angles. I think I might have a bash at segmented work at some point.

I would never have believed a non-break injury would cause so much pain and take so long to heal.

My tennis elbow, trivial compared to your situation has given a ludicrous amount of gyp so I sympathise. At least you're making Tom and that's a good place to be.

Latest posts

Back