Humidity Meter.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Des

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am 74 and living in Perth (Australia). Woodwork is my passion. I love it. Got my inspiration from “Instructables” to make this humidity meter. Pine was used to make the indicator. Two strips of about 1.5mm thick, 20mm wide and 280mm long. One was cut across the grain and the other with the grain. Glued together using two part epoxy. The cross grain facing to the left. To get the scale I wet the indicator using a spray bottle and waited for a hot day with low humidity. The photo with the indicator bending to the left was about 15% and the other to the right about 80% on a rainy day.

Attachments

• D6B437BC-D512-458F-9C87-06654CB798E8.jpeg
    D6B437BC-D512-458F-9C87-06654CB798E8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • D83D1E5F-D20C-48D3-B2CE-CA661F64BDC2.jpeg
    D83D1E5F-D20C-48D3-B2CE-CA661F64BDC2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Continuing the theme of measuring atmospheric relative humidity, and adding gaining some insight into cross grain movement of wood as relative humidity changes and its effect on wood is the device I made below. It was made as a learning tool for students during the timber technology subject I introduced them to.

On this device is a Rittenhouse Hygrometer, the bent wand fixed to the bottom left of the base made in the same manner as Des described.

The two pieces of cross grain wood sitting vertically at the centre are oak to the left and mahogany to the right. The long grain of the two bits of wood are orientated horizontally. The two approximately equal size and pivot pointed wands, the ends of which rest on the top of the wood samples move in response to changes in the wood's width (cross grain dimension) and any change in dimension is magnified at the arrow points by the moments about the point (pivot). The end of the wands were held firm to the ends of the wood samples simply tying a bit of fishing line to the rod somewhere beyond the pivot point, adding a nut or two or something similar to the other end of the line and putting the line and nuts over the top of the device to hang down the back. Inked marks show on the paper attached at both ends of the back board where students had noted the position of the arrows after putting the device in different areas for a period of time, e.g., out in a dry but unheated shed, inside a heated office, etc.

Whilst this device couldn't really provide scientifically accurate data it was a great tool for demonstrating graphically key facets of timber technology for learners, e.g., the relatively large change in dimension of oak compared to mahogany as the samples' moisture content changed in response to changes in relative humidity. Slainte.

14-Rittehouse Hygrometer.jpg

Back