Humax - they certainly know how to retain customer loyalty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Monday they send out an email proclaiming 'Black Friday Starts Here' and offering an HDR-1800 for £99 'Available while stocks last'. So I bought one.

Now, today they send out another email offering the next model up, higher storage and for £89 !! Cracking bit of sharp practice.

Humax certainly know how to build customer loyalty.

I thought about that but their Ts and Cs say this..

same must be “as new” when
collected by us eg. if you have opened the packaging to examine the goods you must not damage or
mark the goods or packaging.

I have opened the unit to test it. I could see them getting ainsy about it all.

You may have done better than you think. Replaced our old Humax as it was getting glitchy but the latest all singing all dancing model is not a patch on the old one. Slow on start up far less user friendly to use and no advantages over the old machine (other than memory isn't corrupted)

Nick is right.

You can return the goods up to 14 days to return goods, for any reason. These are your legal rights, their T's & C's cannot change those, they hope that you read them and don't!

Beau":2bfsi2pi said:
You may have done better than you think. Replaced our old Humax as it was getting glitchy but the latest all singing all dancing model is not a patch on the old one. Slow on start up far less user friendly to use and no advantages over the old machine (other than memory isn't corrupted)

Interesting, Beau. Which model did you have? The latest one we had was the 9300T which never picked up the correct start/stop times and would always stutter on anything recorded on Film4. It also liked rebooting itself for no apparent reason.

Good points re Distance Selling Regulations, chaps. Many thanks

RogerS":cd2lau2n said:
Beau":cd2lau2n said:

Interesting, Beau. Which model did you have? The latest one we had was the 9300T which never picked up the correct start/stop times and would always stutter on anything recorded on Film4. It also liked rebooting itself for no apparent reason.

Good points re Distance Selling Regulations, chaps. Many thanks

I say all singing all dancing but it is probably not one of top flight models as I am too tight. Nothing written on the machine but user guide is for the 1800T and 2000T

Hey ho. When I was thinking about buying this unit, i did do some due diligence, found that there had been some issues in the past but that the latest s/w version addressed these. So I rang Humax Sales and asked them if this unit would have the latest s.w version and was told it would. Hey ho. Current version 1.01.16. Mine is 1.01.10.

So it's definitely going back as I have no easy means of updating it nor think that I should have to.

Beau":2vkz4zos said:

I say all singing all dancing but it is probably not one of top flight models as I am too tight. Nothing written on the machine but user guide is for the 1800T and 2000T

Which is the one that I just bought and you are bang on the money. Compared to the 9300 and the models before that, the user interface on the 1800 is gross. For the first time ever, i'm going to have to read the manual to play a recorded programme as nothing obvious works on the remote control and screen interface.
It really is that dire.

RogerS":1tyro5mk said:
Beau":1tyro5mk said:

Which is the one that I just bought and you are bang on the money. Compared to the 9300 and the models before that, the user interface on the 1800 is gross. For the first time ever, i'm going to have to read the manual to play a recorded programme as nothing obvious works on the remote control and screen interface.
It really is that dire.

Oh dear. Was hoping you hadn't got the same model as us with the same issue. We have kept the old one in the hope of finding a way to change the hard drive. Only bright side to the 1800T/2000T is ability to to watch Iplayer on the telly. I failed to record the Detectorists but have now caught up (best series in years IMO)

Beau":1j2cp2fq said:
RogerS":1j2cp2fq said:
Beau":1j2cp2fq said:

It really is that dire.

Oh dear. Was hoping you hadn't got the same model as us with the same issue. We have kept the old one in the hope of finding a way to change the hard drive. Only bright side to the 1800T/2000T is ability to to watch Iplayer on the telly. I failed to record the Detectorists but have now caught up (best series in years IMO)

I believe that you can replace the hard drive and maybe there is a How To here ? I do know that there are special types of hard drives for use inside PVRs...something to do with the disks being effectively on all the time while recording or playing back. They might have AV in their model number, can't recall. You've done a reformat I guess - not that it does much good as it won't map out any bad sectors.

Whip out the hard disk install it in your computer and format it not the quick format, and then pop it back in.

Worked for me!

Pete

Racers":dldjqecv said:
Whip out the hard disk install it in your computer and format it not the quick format, and then pop it back in.

Worked for me!

Pete

You make it sound so easy but is this an option for someone with very limited IT skills? Oh and a Mac!

Beau":og17r7bb said:
You make it sound so easy but is this an option for someone with very limited IT skills? Oh and a Mac!
Formatting hard discs on a Mac is easy. The only problem is finding a suitable interface for the HD, they are available once you know what's needed, or at least they were. Macs are slightly better in many ways because you can at least read and format for PC's where as PC's don't recognise Mac HD's. This is how you can format SD and USB drives for cameras etc in a Mac. Having said all that I've no idea what peculiar formatting a Humax box may require? :lol:

woodpig":35fy1u8j said:
RogerS":35fy1u8j said:
woodpig":35fy1u8j said:
If we get rid of Virgin I'll probably get a combined Blu-ray/PVR from Panasonic, anyone tried one?

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/ho ... 850eb.html

You've got deeper pockets then me !!

I found a cheaper one for you with a 500gb HD! :D

http://www.richersounds.com/product/dig ... t550eb-blk

That's more like it! Now all I need is a TV with HDMI and High Definition !!

Back