Humax - they certainly know how to retain customer loyalty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a couple of great Sony TV's in the past but they seemed to be having problems with their (Android) operating system when I bought a new TV so I went for a Panasonic 4K this time and I'm well pleased with it. I got a Panasonic sound box to go with it and they work well together.

woodpig":1q9zeu6n said:
I've had a couple of great Sony TV's in the past but they seemed to be having problems with their (Android) operating system when I bought a new TV so I went for a Panasonic 4K this time and I'm well pleased with it. I got a Panasonic sound box to go with it and they work well together.

I'm glad the two pieces of Panasonic kit work well together for you although one would hope that, being from the same manufacturer, they would!

One good reason why the next TV we buy will be the dumbest one that I can find (albeit with the best picture). Horse for courses. Anyone expecting a TV manufacturer with new models every six months or less to keep their software updated and bug-free (when facing the external sites such as a Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer/you-name-it-latest-gizmo-must-have-on-the-block) is living in cloud cuckoo land IMO.

When I first started viewing a replacement TV the Panasonic seemed much sharper than the Sony but on further viewing in several shops I think they were pretty much on a par. The Sony OS simply didn't work properly in several stores so I went online to the Sony forums and there were lots of very unhappy folks on there. The Panasonic OS worked fine and had options on it that Sony had yet to roll out so I bought the Panasonic. We haven't used it much but Freeview Play works very well if only a seven day catch up service.

Virgin is in our bad books at the moment as I hate watching stuff in SD and several of the HD channels are pixelating at the moment. Engineer number two is due out today!

I'd sooner dump Virgin and sign up for Netflix but the boss likes Virgin for some reason. I wouldn't mind too much but we're effectively paying for lots of sports channels we don't watch and the on demand films are too expensive IMO.

Really enjoying watching wood turning stuff on YouTube on the big box though!

woodpig":2pnf62gi said:

Yes, I remember it well. I bought a Panasonic a few years back and was amazed with the quality of the YouTube viewing. Whenever swmbo went out I would watch some woodworking on YouTube. It was so much better on a large screen.

Then disaster struck, as the YouTube interface stopped working. Nothing was wrong with the Panny, it was YouTube who stopped the streaming format that Panasonic had been using. :cry:

Newbie_Neil":iwr8s4pn said:
woodpig":iwr8s4pn said:

Yes, I remember it well. I bought a Panasonic a few years back and was amazed with the quality of the YouTube viewing. Whenever swmbo went out I would watch some woodworking on YouTube. It was so much better on a large screen.

Then disaster struck, as the YouTube interface stopped working. Nothing was wrong with the Panny, it was YouTube who stopped the streaming format that Panasonic had been using. :cry:

I suggest dropping £25 on an Amazon Fire Stick, if you haven't already found something.

BugBear

Something similar happened to a friends Sony TV and BBC iPlayer. Things have changed now though and content is supplied via Apps like you get on a tablet. This I suppose is why Sony have gone over to Android. TV's aren't expected to last more than 5 years though these days. You'll be able to get a 4K telly soon for a couple of hundred.

Hi BB,

bugbear":31j2pajp said:
I suggest dropping £25 on an Amazon Fire Stick, if you haven't already found something. BugBear

I would really like something that I can plug an ethernet cable into, so that it is as quick as possible.

Neil

woodpig":2oopay6h said:
Having said all that I've no idea what peculiar formatting a Humax box may require? :lol:

It does it itself I believe to some proprietary format. Just pop in a new HDD of the correct type (IDE/SATA/PATA)

Newbie_Neil":1j6ikltc said:
Hi BB,

bugbear":1j6ikltc said:
I suggest dropping £25 on an Amazon Fire Stick, if you haven't already found something. BugBear

I would really like something that I can plug an ethernet cable into, so that it is as quick as possible.

Neil

Just buy a cheap Blu Ray player they tend to have ethernet input :)

Paul Dye":hfmfnmgf said:
Newbie_Neil":hfmfnmgf said:
Hi BB,

bugbear":hfmfnmgf said:

Neil

I have an ethernet Blu Ray player attached. Could you please explain how it enables me watch YouTube on the television?

Neil

Newbie_Neil":3k9tnwuo said:
Hi BB,

bugbear":3k9tnwuo said:

Neil

I don't know your particular circumstance, by my wifi router handles BBC Iplayer HD no trouble.

BugBear

Newbie_Neil":26xqery7 said:
Paul Dye":26xqery7 said:

Neil

I have an ethernet Blu Ray player attached. Could you please explain how it enables me watch YouTube on the television?

Neil[/quote]

Neil

It depends on your player. If it is a normal Blu-Ray player then you won't be able to. It needs the right software etc inside it.

Or get the Amazon Fire TV (NB not the stick as that does not have an ethernet connection).

Back