How would you rate the UK's handling of this pandemic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct.
They apparenty didn't follow the rules...erm, sorry..."guidance" in Lebanon either, particularly when they eased off for Christmas and New Year.
(Ring any bells?)

They've just announced a lockdown commencing 0500 this Thursday.
Curfew.
A total curfew.
Not even supermarkets allowed to open.
For 11 days.
If you haven't food in, tough. It's deliveries only.
Dog walking? Nah....
Need to go and see Auntie Bertha? Forget it, mate.
Toothache? You'll have to live with it, pal...
There are a few exemptions, apparently. Very few.

Perhaps the answer lies here - behave yourselves, cut out bleating about pubs etc. not being allowed to open, and generally stop being complete twits to everybody else.

p.s. No. I didn't use "twits"!

Maybe you should move to the Lebanon? Sounds delightful.

Does this kind of absolute certainty only happen with COVID or does it occur everywhere?

If you are asking if I beleive with absolute certainty that there WILL be another pandemic of some other biological agent, then yes, 100%.

History has shown they occur with alarming regularity - now granted that for the majority of the historical ones, ignorance played by far the biggest factor on the death toll.

In 2020 we knew better, we knew HOW the virus was transmitted, we know with a good degree of accuracy it's lifespan without a host, and even to the degree of differing lifespan according to environment and different surfaces, and most importantly, how to kill it from surfaces and how NOT to transmit it.

Yet it still got away from us - with approximately TWO MILLION dead and rising, because of "the stupid" - and I DO NOT MEAN those in charge, I place the blame for it's continued spread, last year and this, on the "common man" - the information was there to know, but as I said as the end of the day - even the most ignorant fool knows that infections are spread via contact with people and where they have been. I find it impossible to beleive anyone whom has had a cold at any point in their lives does not know this.

Why they thought Covid somehow DID NOT follow this long known pattern is unfathomable.

So once again human ignorance and stupidity is to blame for a significant portion of the Covid death toll, and humanity has learned bascially nothing from the deaths of the previous millions. Have I got much faith for humanity making better choices the next time? No.

..and I'm beating the same drum, and still no-ones listening..

Do I continue GAS or do I give up?

I will thank you, it seems to be the only response to people in this country who love nothing more than to denigrate their fellow citizens.

Ok I'll bite - so if we don't denigrate those superspreaders (basically everyone ignoring "the rules") in the hope they stop, what should we be doing instead? - Offer to "talk nicely" to them in the hope they change thier ways (having shown no indication of it for the last 12 months), maybe give them some free coupons for an online meditation class, and a delivery of a Kale smoothie?

Do you think those of us doing the denigrating are ENJOYING this? Or do you think we'd much prefer not having to because there are no superspreaders, everyone's been careful and covid is now already in the past; we had a good Xmas with our families, loved ones and are already getting back to rebuilding that which has been damaged by the pandemic?

Ask me - which one do you think I and all those "denigrators" you are yourself denigrating (hypocrite btw) want? More opportunity to denigrate or our ffing lives back?

Here's a suggestion - if you beleive so fervently that you are in the right - how about you post the views you've posted here on your social media account - allow your family and peers to read it, from your own lips; you do yours I'll do mine and we'll compare notes, waddya say?

Are you prepared to be judged by those closest to you? I am.

Maybe you should move to the Lebanon? Sounds delightful.

If they really are doing a full curfew style lockdown, could well be one of the first places to see drastic reduction of covid cases per capita - I'll remind you of this post in a few weeks shall I?

Want to lay any bets?

Do you think those of us doing the denigrating are ENJOYING this?

Absolutely, you love it, I see people like you all the time you just can't help yourself. In your view everyone aside from you and your family are awful people responsible for terrible things, stupid and uncaring. You love to do them down for anything you perceive to be wrong.

Here's a suggestion - if you beleive so fervently that you are in the right - how about you post the views you've posted here on your social media account - allow your family and peers to read it, from your own lips; you do yours I'll do mine and we'll compare notes, waddya say?

Are you prepared to be judged by those closest to you? I am.

Yep, already have on multiple occasions and had good discussions about it. Some agree, some disagree.

Two sets of laws which are often "stretched" - in the sense that the boundaries of the written text are considered to be somthing to be worked around, rather than to be followed "in spirit"
[/QUOTE]

Speed limits

Lockdowns do work
The harder and faster they are, the more effective they are and the less economic damage they do

The anti lockdowners have made them less effective
Esp the anti lockdowners MPs ( many from the ERG) who have influenced Johnson's decisions.

I hope this new variant has completely shut up the uninformed people that claim "it's no worse than flu"

Not to forget that first amongst anti lock downers was Johnson.
Sometimes "leadership" is required so it's ironic that this man with Churchill fantasies should be so lacking in that respect.
And of course very misleading to those who had any faith in his judgement, on this and on brexit too. The two events most demanding of leadership since WW2 in the hands of an silly person

Last edited:
If they really are doing a full curfew style lockdown, could well be one of the first places to see drastic reduction of covid cases per capita - I'll remind you of this post in a few weeks shall I?

Want to lay any bets?

Though I shall remind you in 20/30 years time of the economic cost when we will still be paying back the debt.

Anyone who saw Newsnight last night would have seen the farce of the EU vaccine procurement. Getting the 27 states to agree to purchase the vaccine collectively, has caused delays meaning they are way down the queue.
They have ordered some vaccine (from one of the member states) that will not be available until the end of the year, at the earliest.

Though those shrouded under the red flag will be unable to see any positives from this. They will still be saying that there will be medicine shortages if we leave the EU. (lies ? )

Anyone who saw Newsnight last night would have seen the farce of the EU vaccine procurement. Getting the 27 states to agree to purchase the vaccine collectively, has caused delays meaning they are way down the queue.
They have ordered some vaccine (from one of the member states) that will not be available until the end of the year, at the earliest.

Though those shrouded under the red flag will be unable to see any positives from this. They will still be saying that there will be medicine shortages if we leave the EU. (lies ? )
We have shortages already, across the board for many things, heavily reported. Not necessarily for drugs but that will be the case sooner or later, as we have built barriers to trade with our largest trade partners, for no obvious reason.

We have shortages already, across the board for many things, heavily reported. Not necessarily for drugs but that will be the case sooner or later, as we have built barriers to trade with our largest trade partners, for no obvious reason.

We have plenty of vaccine though. And are administering it far quicker than our EU neighbours.

South Holland District Council leader Coun Gary Porter has posted a tweet to suggest that a "unconfirmed but trusted source" has said the roll out will begin on Saturday, January 16.

It's a shame you are unable to give any credit to our government though.

..It's a shame you are unable to give any credit to our government though.
Time will tell.
At the moment many people wouldn't credit them with the ability to arrange a booze-up in a brewery, for obvious reasons

At the moment many people wouldn't credit them with the ability to arrange a booze-up in a brewery, for obvious reasons

Though as the former Labour leader spent four years trying to formulate a position on Brexit, one can only imagine how successful he might have been at dealing with this pandemic.
Maybe we would still be waiting for the pharmaceutical industry to be nationalised for the 'good of the people' before any vaccine could be made available.

There are currently people suing government for 'failing to educate their children'.
There are also people suing government for 'forcing' children to go to school where they may catch the virus.

How would Labour party deal with this ?
As they did with Brexit, keep half the schools open and close the other half, thereby keeping all voters happy...

These are unprecedent times. There are no 'correct' or easy answers, only a fool would think otherwise.

Though I shall remind you in 20/30 years time of the economic cost when we will still be paying back the debt.

He'll be one of the unaffected though, as most are on this forum. Go to a forum where the members are affected and you will see a different story.

Apparantly 94% of us believe we are acting more in accordance to the rules than most other people.

Please let's not have another round of rorshach style "better off dead than poor" comments - it didn't end well for him then, it won't end well now. His comments earned him quite a few replies branding him a "despicable human being".

here's just an example of one: Hancock's Half Hour

I've made it clear multiple times that if we had had a hard lockdown (as is being tested now in Lebanon) early last year we would already be rebuilding, because covid would have been starved to a point of being much more easily managed, and the Nightingale centres (plus other quarantine centres) could have housed those infected.

I've called rorschach out on this multiple times and now he's sending me PM's trying to goad me into proving it - whelp - as he desires:

Hancock's Half Hour - no explanation required.

Hancock's Half Hour - a reply.

Hancock's Half Hour - my personal reply to that post (for full disclosure)

Hancock's Half Hour - a post by RogerS who also says he beleives rorschach is saying "let the old die" (bottom paragraph)

Hancock's Half Hour - Here he doubles down on his "save the economy, not lives" crusade.

Hancock's Half Hour - and another.

Hancock's Half Hour - LOL this didn't work out as he thought.

Hancock's Half Hour - and another reply

BINGO - I knew it was here somewhere - Hancock's Half Hour - second paragraph

here is the important line: "I am willing to let a tiny fraction of very elderly people die a little bit early for that to happen." (in reference to reducing the economic losses for people)

Read it and deny it rorshach - I could go on but I think that's enough.

oh go on then - Hancock's Half Hour - another reply to rorschachs post

and on and on - that entire thread is FULL of other members tearing apart rorschachs claims of "evidence" the lockdown was pointless and then trying to recant a previous statement, EVEN when he's been bloody quoted back to himself!

Mods - before you think this is a witchhunt - rorshach PM'd me with: "Still waiting to see those screen caps you said you had, I'd like to see how accurate your paraphrasing is. "

all I've done is oblige and I'm only on PAGE 18 of that 60 page thread - I;ve read on soem more pages and there's plenty more like it:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/hancocks-half-hour.122775/post-1358902

Interestingly rorschach asked these questions: Hancock's Half Hour

then another member invited him to put his own cards on the table: Hancock's Half Hour

here he attempts to recant a previous (let them all die) statement (which I have proven above) : Hancock's Half Hour

rorschachs "cards" - Hancock's Half Hour - not exactly the kind of business that needs protecting at the cost of lives.

- another interesting viewpoint " I think those that suffer least are the ones claling for lockdown" Hancock's Half Hour

and then admits his position despite previously claiming he had not: Hancock's Half Hour

and a reply: Hancock's Half Hour

Still not even halfway through the thread but i think I've proved my point rorschach.

EVERYTHING you said has been proven wrong - Covid kills the young and old, more old than young granted, but your beleif that's the lockdown was unnecessary has been flawed from day 1 - the last lockdown was almost a success - many countries that followed lockdown rules were down to only a few hundred new cases per day.

It's also now a moot point that lifting the lockdown too early caused this second wave - because it allowed the mutuated strain to get a foothold - and now we are at obscene levels of infections and deaths.

Your move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back