How to remove stuck router collet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HantsHog

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a router that was replaced under warranty (refurbished Aldi job) a few months back. Unfortunately I did not check it properly and as it turns out it has been shipped with a collet jammed in the collett nut. It's as if the nut has been tightened up without a bit inserted. I have completely removed the nut but the collet will not shift. Any ideas?

Can you get a drift or a broken router bit in (where the router bit would go) and then place it over a scrap of timber with a hole drilled it it just smaller than the nut? Then gently tap with a hammer until it comes out.

Pete

It's possible that the collet has gone in out of square. Personally I'd put the ball of a ball pein hammer over the top of the collet and smack it one with another hammer. Using the ball end shouldn't damage the collet or nut.

If it is a tight fit (as opposed to mechanically jammed in place), try some gentle heat. This will often move obstinate fittings. Different metals expand at different rates.

I'd try this:
Put a router bit shank into the collet. This will give it some thermal mass in the centre.
Next, put the whole thing into the freezer for a few hours.
When you get it out, quickly apply some heat to the outside of the collet nut only. The idea is to expand it so that it looses itself.

If it is jammed tight out of line, you may have an insoluble problem.

Hope that this helps.

When I had this happen to me with an eBay purchase I just got a bolt the right size and screwed it into the colet until it hit the arbour then as I screwed it in it forced the collet out.

I cannot remember if I needed to tap a thread into the collet first, sorry.

Mick

How tight is the collet in the nut, the collet should be held in the nut and needs snapping out. If its totally solid then thats a different matter in which case you really need to compres steh collet to reduce its diameter.

J

PS hitting one hammer with another is not good practice

Sorry. I think I misunderstood the question.

Is the collet stuck in the nut or the arbour? With mine someone had clearly tightened the nut without first snapping the collet into it so it just jammed but the nut was off.

Mick

Back